Angela Rayner

Sponsored Links
They are not going to prosecute her for deducting the cost of a new kitchen or bathroom as a capital expense, because it is clearly capable of being one.
I suspect a significant portion of her renovation work must be treated as a revenue expenditure. Great news if she is facing allegations of failure to disclose rental income.. Not so great news if she wants to argue that these renovations are capital expenditure. Whether something is an allowable "upgrade" vs a revenue expenditure "repair" will depend on the new for new comparison.

In summary - renovating the kitchen and bathroom is not going to be a deductible capital expense, unless there was nothing there to start with.

In summary

Practical Tip

On the whole, Jennifer should be pleased (or relieved!) that with care, most of her expenditure should be deductible as repairs. It pays to research the treatment of the expense before you go ahead with the change.

I suspect a significant portion of her renovation work must be treated as a revenue expenditure. Great news if she is facing allegations of failure to disclose rental income.. Not so great news if she wants to argue that these renovations are capital expenditure. Whether something is an allowable "upgrade" vs a revenue expenditure "repair" will depend on the new for new comparison.

In summary - renovating the kitchen and bathroom is not going to be a deductible capital expense, unless there was nothing there to start with.

Renovation maybe but we don’t know the state of the property or whether there was more fundamental damage involved. Most people would regard a kitchen as an integral part of the structure of the building even if it isn’t in an engineering sense

Sponsored Links
Honestly earned. ;)

"Most likely". Oh, I forgot, she's a labour politician. They only 'make mistakes' and never do any deliberate wrong, to they.
Mottie makes a joke of £billions of Tory corruption

Mottie doesnt care

If Keir Starmer is caught lying to the nation, to Parliament and to the King, I will pay £10 to a charity of your choice.

If he isn't, you can pay £10 to my charity

Do you accept?

I prefer the term

Economical with the actual alleterre

Practical Tip

On the whole, Jennifer should be pleased (or relieved!) that with care, most of her expenditure should be deductible as repairs. It pays to research the treatment of the expense before you go ahead with the change.
Not much help when you are trying to dodge a capital gains tax liability.

Renovation maybe but we don’t know the state of the property or whether there was more fundamental damage involved. Most people would regard a kitchen as an integral part of the structure of the building even if it isn’t in an engineering sense
It was a council house, maintained by the council.

If Keir Starmer is caught lying to the nation, to Parliament and to the King, I will pay £10 to a charity of your choice.

If he isn't, you can pay £10 to my charity

Do you accept?
any of those criteria or is the bet an accumulator? Do you offer the same for Angela Rayner - if she is found to have lied?

Perhaps we could make the bet do some good McMillan Cancer?

It was a council house, maintained by the council.
Council tenants have far more maintenance responsibilities nowadays. But replacing a kitchen is regarded as a capital item and so the landlords responsibility. We don't know whether she had a crap kitchen or a brand new one when she was a tenant.

Sponsored Links
Back