Another low pressure crappy shower problem !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have put up with my lousy showering experience for years but need to sort the problem as i need to get a lodger in to pay the bills. I live in a small terraced house and the whole street seems to share a water mains pipe with their next door neighbour. I know for a fact i do as the yard was resurfaced over 10 years ago and we spotted a single lead water pipe running down my side of the wall and then branching out to my kitchen and to my next door neighbour. With hindsight the pipe should have been replaced then but the plumber was not keen on doing the job and i would also have had to dig up next door neighbours yard putting the additional cost over my budget.

I have a Worcester combi boiler R 30 HE located in the loft about 3m to the left and 3m above the shower which is located over the bath. I am feeding 6 radiators though there are only 3 that are used regularly. The other 3 are set at level 1 on the TRVs. The pressure is usually at 1 bar and very very rarely reaches 1.25 bars. I also have to top up my boiler pressure at least every 2/3 days as there is a slight leak on the system somewhere that to date i have not been able to track down. I am checking the boiler every day.I am going to add some sealer to see if this helps. Is this a major factor in my showering issues? I can sometimes hear the boiler clunking which usually means the pressure has dropped and a top is required.

I have performed a flow test with my 14 litre bucket and timer at the main sink adjacent to the stop cock. I ran the test 3 times and the flow averaged out at 9/10 LPM. This is considered low pressure. I have also performed a flow test on my next door neighbours water supply. The flow rate at her kitchen sink is 8.40 LPM ( 3 tests and 10.50 LPM ( 2 tests). =I tested her shower which is fed by a cold water tank above the bathroom and it comes out at 4.66 LPM ( 3 tests )
I have an unknown make/model mixer tap that runs my shower over the bath and ran the flow test 3 times. The time to fill the bucket was 2 mins, 3 mins and 2 1/2 mins giving a flow rate between 4.54 and 6.3. The shower runs cold on occasions and loses pressure. The problems still exist even when the neighbour is away and not running any water .

What are my options?

I have emailed mira to see if their mixer taps and magni flow system could help the situation but they did not think so due to the uneven nature of the flow rate.
They said "I feel like the fact that your flow rates are fluctuating around so much might now allow the shower to operate correctly"
Money is very limited so need an affordable solution. I do not need a power showering experience just one that is more reliable.
thanks
darrell

Sponsored Links
The leak on the heating system needs to be sorted - continually adding fresh water will result in massive corrosion which will destroy the system.
The leak and boiler pressure is unrelated to the shower or hot water supply.

9 litres per minute is very poor, however that is flow, not pressure.
If the actual pressure is low, that may explain the poor flow. Or it may be that pressure is fine, but there is some restriction or blockage (the lead pipe being a likely culprit).

Your best bet has to be to sort the supply pipe out. Anything else is going to involve tanks and pumps which will cost and be annoying.
Get onto your water company, see if they have anything to offer- usually you have to get your new pipe from the house to the boundary (buried to their specs & they'll want to see the open trench) then they'll connect to their main foc. Pain for you is you have to disconnect the lead to your house at the point where it branches to your neighbour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back