Another Myson Midas sfi problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an annoying problem with my combi boiler that is taking ages to get resolved. There is a long delay (usually about an hour) before the central heating will come on. The central heating is switched to constant, and is controlled by turning up the room thermostat when it is required and then turing it down when it is not.

The series of events are

1. In the morning hot water is run (boiler works fine).
2. About 20 mins later the room thermostat is turned up to turn on the heating.
3. About an hour later (time delay can vary) the boiler fires up and heats the rads.

I have noticed that during the delay, the flue fan is active the whole time, also during this hour long delay, if I visit the boiler and turn the hot water switch to off, the boiler sounds like it shuts down, waits about 40 seconds then fires up and hey presto the central heating is working. If I then switch the hot water back on at the boiler, the central heating stays on.

Should I then use the hot water for any reason, once I turn off the hot water tap, the boiler reverts back to the state where the fan is going but the boiler is not lit and stays this way until I turn the hot water off again.

So far the main control PCB, the ignition board and the central heating flow sensor have been replaced but have not cured the problem.

It doesn't matter to me how many parts they replace as it is covered by the insurance. What is annoying is the number of half days you have to wait in for them to come and not fix it again.

Can anyone suggest what may be causing this as it is becoming quite clear the the engineer hasn't a clue (although I might end up with a new boiler if they keep replacing all the parts!).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you have insurance cover then you have to accept that their contractors have to employ muppets. ( Except BG who are somewhat better depending on who you get. )

Its difficult to guess at whats wrong with your boiler without being there and doing certain tests.

Your guys will prefer to change the odd part rather then try to diagnose the problem as they are usually inexperienced and have few diagnostic skills which is why they have to work for that kind of firm.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Actually it is BG who are trying to fix it. I am booked in for their 5th attempt at fixing it on Monday. Like I say, I don't mind having all these new parts on my boiler, but I would rather have it fixed and not waste my annual leave wating in for them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back