Another service fuse question

Well, all I can say is that Norweb did the work because their equipment was not up to scratch (ie old 40A meter, undersize fuse etc) and the fact that I chose to install an iso atst was purely incidental.

Have you asked them officially about cost?

ATEOTD, by upgrading your supply, you will probably buy more electricity, and I think most REC's take the view that it is worth their while doing this kind of work FOC......especially when some of the work is to upgrade stuff decades old anyway.

Sponsored Links
What on earth is that thing with a rotary part, on the right of the fusebox?
It doesn't look like a normal main switch to me.

Ban all sheds,As you are having to ask what to do, i think you should leave well alone and seek professional advice.

kai its an rcd incomer. Instead of being a rocker switch, it is rotary. Ish.

BAN:

Again, many many thanks to my IT technician, Tex, who has sorted out another piccy. This is my isolator at home to give you an idea of how I did it:

iso.jpg

I took a bog standard 4 module enclosure and drilled holes for the tails the exact diameter of the cable. These were carefully positioned directly in line with the terminals of the isolator so there was no bending of the tails to be done.

I wired it up, installed it and left the old tails as they were. When the guy came, he wired the tails into the new meter, and I put the other end into the CU. Job done!!

The only tip I would offer is to use a good quality driver (if posi, it must not have a chewed end!) Make sure the terminals are tight - a potential 100A is a fair load.

Some meters (if they have iso's at all) are SP. Some have a DP rocker switch.

But these meters are usually only new-build or where a meter has been moved. Depends on REC, too, as to what they fit when where and how....personally, I think you can't go wrong with an isolator like this.

Sponsored Links
kendor said:
Ban all sheds,As you are having to ask what to do, i think you should leave well alone and seek professional advice.
Kendor, if you took the trouble to read, you'd see that asking advice is exactly what I'm doing.

securespark said:
kai its an rcd incomer. Instead of being a rocker switch, it is rotary. Ish.
Kai - it's built in to the fabric of the CU - doesn't use up any ways - it's not a split-load board. If you look to the left you'll see my non-RCD supply for the fridge/freezer.

The only tip I would offer is to use a good quality driver (if posi, it must not have a chewed end!)
I'm hurt that you think I'd have any damaged tools, apart from the large, manky flat-bladed driver I keep for levering open paint tins....

Oh - and the collection of worn sockets which can be useful when undersized ones are hammered onto corroded nuts or bolts to get a purchase...

I think you can't go wrong with an isolator like this.
Thanks for that - I can easily make one of those. I'll keep the switchfuse for its intended purpose.

Or I could use this, but it still has a fuse in it, and it is a tad large:

itllcomeinusefuloneday.JPG

Well, I suppose you won't go wanting for wiring space...

Tell me again, how big is your under-stairs cupboard?

ban-all-sheds said:
kendor said:
Kendor, if you took the trouble to read, you'd see that asking advice is exactly what I'm doing.

oh come on, Ban. He's only winding you up!

securespark said:
Well, I suppose you won't go wanting for wiring space...

Tell me again, how big is your under-stairs cupboard?
The lack of space is a problem - otherwise I could have bought this off eBay, then I wouldn't have had to worry about fuse discrimination:

2f_1.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back