another yale alarm problem!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
after being on hold for the past 40 mins to yale support i gave up, hoping someone on here might be able to help me!

i fitted the alarm this weekend and everything seems fine, however i cant get to pir's to stop making the ding dong noise every time they detect movement.

ive gone into the devices menu and edited the settings on the pirs to 'Away Entry' which it says in the instructions that they wont give the noise ..... but it does.

the only way i can stop it is to have the door chime mode off, but this is no good as i cant hear when the doors get opened!

also i bought the pet friendly version but the hall sensor has been activated 3 times when out, does having the sensor facing the stairs cause a problem? i also have a wooden floor, could the sun reflecting on the floor activate it?

hope someone can help, cheers!

Sponsored Links
Ok firstly , Yes pointing pet friendly sensors at stairs or indeed where small animals like cats can jump through banisters will cause you problems with the pet friendly sensors.

You need to move your hall sensor , (having a bit of a psychic guess here about your home layout)try above the kitchen door so it is pointing from your far hall wall toward your front door.

The reason you keep getting the chime with the movement sensors is because any device programmed as an entry device will activate the chime sound including the PIRs.
Sadly you can't get round this and the only way to avoid your pirs from causing a chime is not to have them as entry sensors.

if you could move your hall sensor so it could detect movement within the hall but wont catch you coming in the front door then you could programme that as a burglar device instead .(dont forget to consider whether it will catch you coming downstairs , it may be that you will have to disable the chime on)

Unfortunately your thread will now be trolled and hijacked by a load of professional alarm installers who will tell you that you should have bought a proper alarm or spent more money or that yale alarms are crap etc etc , please try to ignore their condescending , patronising and insulting comments and tell them where they can go.. ;)

thank you for the quick reply!

ahh i see now, i tried the burglar mode but when the pir activated the alarm went off straight away, i need time to deactivate it, especially at 6 in the morning when going downstairs, is there any other way around it??

i have to go past the hall pir to get to the keypad

haha thanks for the headsup, i did have a wired system, but then got a cat, so couldnt set it, and last week got burgled. so i went for the pet friendly option thinking id have no more problems..... wrong

Well if you had stayed with wired and used the correct sensors, you could have had chime and all the other items you need.

However most would have been the same about the positioning of the detector.
However Yaleguy does not know nor we what exact item you fitted as there may be another way to disarm upstairs with either a keypad or a fob.
Note the word MAY.

If that is called "trolling" then so be it.
You could have asked here first and gotten an answer. As well as Yaleguys sorry skyboy. However his understanding of pet detectors has improved and that has to be a good thing. It shows he is learning.

Sponsored Links
the wired alarm was old, some sensors in poor position, no door contact on front door, no telecommunicating feature, no panic alarm, why pay £600+ for replacement sensors and fitting (and redecorating), if that was even possible on the old alarm?

ive just paid £900 for new car locks changing, £200 in excess's and £100 on new door locks, thats why i decided the cheeper 'diy' option was for me.

i installed the yale 6400

thanks

thank you for the quick reply!

ahh i see now, i tried the burglar mode but when the pir activated the alarm went off straight away, i need time to deactivate it, especially at 6 in the morning when going downstairs, is there any other way around it??

i have to go past the hall pir to get to the keypad

haha thanks for the headsup, i did have a wired system, but then got a cat, so couldnt set it, and last week got burgled. so i went for the pet friendly option thinking id have no more problems..... wrong

Your door sensor where you come in needs to be set as an ENTRY device
as does your HALLl sensor if you have to go through that zone to get to the panel when you set it on an evening.(This is actually a good move as it will start the panel counting down and will remind you to disarm it instead of going into the kitchen and then being surprised when the alarm goes off and wakes all your neighbours)
This is where the problem with the system comes up where you cannot have the chime feature set without any PIRs also set to entry also causing the panel to chime.
If it is only the hall sensor not a lounge or kitchen one you might be able to put up with the occasional chimes as people pass through or you enter by the door.

You can get the pet friendly sensors to work with cats . You just have to make sure that a cat can't get up to their level or near them. A 1ft long cat looks like a grizzly bear to the sensor when only a few feet away.
So you have to ensure there is nothing the cat can use or climb on to get near the sensors.
Stairs are a problem because cats can jump through the bannisters and when they do jump down they create a long heat signature because they are moving quickly. This means the sensor detects heat in two areas at the same time through the fresnel lens and you get an activation.

thanks again skyboy, i see what your saying, what is the 'away entry' setting for? it says in the book that ' the device willl not give a "ding dong" chime sound when door chime is selected' but it still does it?

im not bothered about using the part set feature, just dont want ding dongs goin off everytime, seems like a basic feature has been omitted from these alarms??

our bannister is solid, i was wandering if the cat going up the stairs could be setting it off??

thanks again for your help pal!

It looks like you have not quite got something right...

You are correct you can have entry devices that stay silent instead of chiming .
I have just set up a panel with just two door contacts.
One was set as an entry device and the other as away entry.
the chime feature was enabled and bingo
Only the device set as entry caused the chime to sound the device set as away entry did not sound the chime.
You have just taught me something there , thanks a bundle.
You should be able to make your system do exactly the same.

All the devices chime when you walk test the system.

As for the cat. again if pointing at the stairs when it runs down or up them quickly (probably down) it will see a long Infra red image and it will set off the alarm. Position the sensor where is wont 'see' the cat running down the stairs. with solid sides to your banisters you should be able to point it towards the front door and the side of the stairs if you see what I mean.

thats just it, i havent a clue whats wrong with it???

i thought maybe it was stuck on walk mode but turning the chime mode off sorts the problem... exept the door contacts not chiming??

the two door contacts are set to entry and 3 pirs set to away entry, also have a fob and panic button

does it matter that my door is glass and so is the side to it, the postman wont set it off walking past if i face the pir to the door?
thanks again!

No worries about the pir sensors facing glass the heat will not pass through it.

Your only concern could be letters falling through the letter box.

Any reason why all your sensors are set as some kind of entry device?
Do you have to go into every zone when you enter the home or move around to get to the panel?

Do you use both doors to come in and out?

Anyway. as you say the sensors set as away entry should not be causing the chime to work even with chime on.

Try removing the pirs from the system (remove device) and then program them back in again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back