Any builders familiar with Wimpey no fines houses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are there any time served ex Wimpey employees on here,or anyone who has previous experience of the Wimpey no fines, poured in situ concrete houses?

Has anyone ever extended one and in doing so, have cut through the rebar at first floor level?
I'm trying to find out if it is safe to do so.

Does anyone know if the bar is continuous around the perimeter of both semi-detached houses?

Is it likely to be under tension so that cutting it would cause it to spring open? Is that a daft question?

Any advice based on actual experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
My Construction Defect book says the reinforcement was continuous.

It doesn't mention semi's in the text but below is a photo of a pair of semi's with mono pitched roofs dating from early 1970's.

Hope this helps.

Thanks to all that’s all very helpful. Tony, there’s a bar of approx 1” diameter which runs around the perimeter rim joist at first floor level. I’m reluctant to cut a bit out but would be great if I could as, ideally, I would like to pass a shower waste through from the bathroom under the extension floor.

If it's like mine, I think the joists are resting on that bar. I don't think it's under any tension, but I would also be afraid to cut it!

There are also some bundled smaller bars at ground floor window level, which I encountered when drilling for an extractor. I routed the hose around them.

I'm having an extension put in, but not creating any new openings on the ground floor. I'm instead reusing window openings and converting them to doorways.

Achieving a full open plan layout with this kind of house is i'm told very complex with extreme care needed to avoid compromising the entire structure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back