any help would be much apreciated

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
had a new boiler fitted last month , a few problems banging noises ,no heat, no room thermostat to name just a few, the engineer who fitted the boiler has not been paid for the work and we had (should i say a little fall out), i got his phone number of a friend who recomended the fitter as he has done repairs for him in the past. the problem is all the relevent paper work ie benchmark, corgi registration have not been completed and the fitter is refuseing to accept his phone call(something due to the little fight we had on the front lawn ). i had tryed to be resonable with the man but to no avail, my friend has also tryed to phone but still no contact . what if anything can be done to fill in the forms and register the boiler so it will be legal.
thank you

Sponsored Links
Are you saying the job isn't complete?

To come and complete a job I would first want to know that the engineer who has already done some work has already been payed to some extent, as I would be expected to trust you and so far you have not filled me with confidence. There are two sides to every story. I trust you paid him for all materials he supplied.

Secondly I would give you an assessment of the work that needs doing to complete the installation and give you a price for the job, but knowing you like to get physical I would include in the price the wages of my minder.

So far whenever I have been stupid enough to take over where someone has started in the end I have to do more work than if I had started the job myself and or I find out why the opriginal guy didn't stick around.

the job is complete he has been paid for the boiler and matterials but i refused to pay labour untill the problems where sorted out i gave him £1200 , £800 short of the estimate he gave me untill the problems where sorted out. i have had a plumber friend out (not corgi resesterd) and he has fixed the problems fitted thermostat etc . he says the man has done a good job , it was never the workmanship it was the problems no heat , banging noises , thermostat .the boiler is working perfectly well, but this still leaves me with the paper work problem. if he would have just sorted the problems in the first place i would nt be in this situation, i was resonable with him made brews bought his dinner , and just let him get on with it nobody likes someone watching you work

Sponsored Links
Can bitter water and sweet come from the same well?

a/" i was resonable with him made brews bought his dinner "

b/"something due to the little fight we had on the front lawn"

The problem is that b demonstartes a was hollow.

Only the installer can fill in the paperwork, you could ask your local authority if they will inspect it and issue compliance certificates, our's won't, yours might.

I expect the installer will be persuing you in court for some of the full price which you can counter claim against, but you can't expect him to get no wages for what your mate has already stated "he says the man has done a good job , it was never the workmanship"

The courts won't expect him to come back and put right the banging etc because of b/ above as my solicitor friend puts it "the relationship has broken down". The case is one for the courts to decide, expect a small claims court summons.

If he is not corgi registered he is breaking the law not by doing the work but by charging you for it IMO.

If he has claimed that he is corgi registered and isn't he has broken the law whether you pay him or not as it is illegal to impersonate a corgi registered person or portray himself as being corgi registered.
You can check out whether or not he is registered on the corgi website.

I appreciate that you need the installation officially completing and signing off but you would be putting a prospective Corgi in a bit of a situation, whereby he would be effectively insuring his work and to do this legitimately he would officially have to re-install the gas pipework boiler and flue.

Better to consult your local BCO on the way forward. Dont be surprised if they dont have much of a clue but thats the right way to do it. If you get no joy there than ask Corgi for advice.

I would expect the cost of putting the job right to at least exceed the outstanding £800 but if there was any change, it 'may' be 'reasonable' for you to give him it

There was no hint in op's post that original installer isn't corgi registered.

The op's mate who is now advising him is stated to not be corgi registered.

Lack of a thermostat is a breach of Building Regs, and a "Banging boiler" could be many things - all bad. I doubt you ONLY have a "paperwork" problem.

Most weeks I hear of two or three CORGI installers whom the householder thinks or says is registered but is not!

Last week a builder had been employing this fellow installing boilers and doing certificates for 20 years. Without warning the builder discovered he had disappeared to Thailand without paying for the builders decorating of his house ready for letting.

I discovered his CORGI registration had not been renewed in 2002 !!! He had just carried on as usual.

Please check your installer on the CORGI web site as I doubt that he is registered. If he is not then you should report him to CORGI.

If he is registered then I suggest you appologise, pay him whats oweing and ask for the documentation. If he then does not provide it you can report him to CORGI who will serve a defects notice on him but you must pay him the full amount oweing first.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back