Any ideas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a phone call from a colleague today.

He was stripping out some wiring in a domestic property ready for some rewiring work when he found an odd socket.

From his description over the phone it sounded to me like a socket with built in surge protection, but something didn't quite add up.

I've just received a photo on email, and it becomes more curious.

Any thoughts?

socket1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Some kind of homemade RF control unit? Though with all the ring cables to the socket terminals I dont see how it'd work.

EDIT

I notice a little thing with a hole in the bottom of the faceplate . . . Perhaps a thermostat, or something SENDING a signal from this location?

Looks like something MI5 would do :LOL:
Is there a hole in the front for the camera?

Sponsored Links
No the front looks entirely normal.

There is a small hole drilled in the bottom edge :confused:

Maybe this could be the work of MFI? :LOL:

Hiya all,

first post so in with a good un :D

Looks like a transmitter / receiver of some sorts, if you look at the L & N they go to what looks like a bridge rectifier and voltage dropper, then the lower board has a coil around a blueish former, this is the RF board.

Weather or not it is a TX or RX I can't tell....defiantly strange!!

Regards
Dan

is that little silver bit at the bottom with the hole through the faceplate a small condensor microphone, the type used in tape recorders etc? Maybe its some sort of device used for listening in on people :eek:

Power it up and use a scanner to find its frequency :p The possibilities are endless! :LOL:

I agree guitar guy.
Bottom hole looks like microphone.
The rest looks like transmitting bits.

Hmmm.

No circuit diagrams or anything like that. It was stumbled upon by accident by all accounts.

I will try and get the offending item off him and have a play with it.

At the moment you know as much about it as I do.

It looks very much like a bug, microphone behind the hole.

The silver wire on the pale blue plastic looks like a coil the size of which suggests that it could be wireless transmitter in the VHF band, might be possible to hear it on a FM radio.

Imagine IR testing that installation, you'd be tearing your hair out at the L to N reading!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back