Any ideas?

Was it installed in the bedroom by any chance?

All you've got to do now is find the secret control centre. Any dodgy looking partition walls? False wall in attic? :D

Sponsored Links
I can confirm it is indeed a microphone and transmitter.

It was powered up today and is still working :eek:

The customer knows nothing about it as she has only bought the house three weeks ago.

All seems a bit sinister.

I will post more details as and when I receive them

Drop a line with the picture direct to MI5

Their Address is:

MI5 The Enquiries Desk
PO Box 3255
London SW1P 1AE

Then go into hiding... :eek:

Or you can contact them via the web Here

But still go into hiding... :LOL:

Is your mate doing a complete rip out and rewire?
If it was me, i'd be opening everything in the house to see if there was anything more.

I wonder if the previous owner had a swivel chair, scar across on eye, big fluffy cat and a penchant for world domination?

Sponsored Links
Drop a line with the picture direct to MI5

Their Address is:

MI5 The Enquiries Desk
PO Box 3255
London SW1P 1AE

Then go into hiding... :eek:

Or you can contact them via the web Here

But still go into hiding... :LOL:

What are a kithcen suppliers going to do about it? Besides, I thought they went bust last year?

Is your mate doing a complete rip out and rewire?
If it was me, i'd be opening everything in the house to see if there was anything more.

I wonder if the previous owner had a swivel chair, scar across on eye, big fluffy cat and a penchant for world domination?

Not sure TBH. I think it's a sockets rewire only, but I'm sure curiosity will have him do a full bug sweep of the house.

I'm sure a quick blast from the megger ought to find them :LOL:

i've seen them do bug sweeps on 'spooks' and similar programmes. Never noticed the use of a megger before, i'd get yerself over to the dragon's den, pronto! :LOL:

If you need to do a sweep for bugs he's available at a decent rate

770713-4506256233_super.jpg

The customer knows nothing about it as she has only bought the house three weeks ago.

All seems a bit sinister.
We're all having a laugh, but it's actually no laughing matter. If someone can end up getting shot to death on a tube train because he lived in a building which was the target of incompetently managed surveillance then it is not far-fetched to suggest that the new owner of this house could have bad things happen. OK - probably not being gunned down, but we all know that credit rating agencies, utilities, BT etc struggle with the concept of "No, that was the previous occupant, he's gone and I live here now", and the de Menezes case showed us that the security forces can't get it right when they think they are dealing with potential mass murderers.

If they can screw up so badly when doing something so important, what manner of screw-ups could they make with lower priority stuff?

No way is that amateurish circuit anything to do with MI5 or whatever. They have better tools at their disposal.

f it IS a bug, surely its some dodgy PI checking up on a cheating husband, or similar.......or maybe more.........da da DAAAA

Hi,

RF any more info as I am really interested in this. I have seen devices that connect to the CPC that use the entire CPC of the RF to act as a large aerial.

In that circuit you can see a LC circuit so its defentley a transmitter.

Any chance of borrowing it ;) so I can sweep it with a spectrum analyser and RF frequency generator? Find out what frequency it is transmitting on and its power output, then some maths gives you an idea of its range and the area its transmitting in then you can walk around with a scanner and hopefully find the receiver. I would love to draw up a circuit as well.

I guess it was a surprise to find it.

EDIT: Its a mess and more deg bug style and does not look professional. Looks more like home made looking at the tinned copper PCB. That dates it back to pre ROHS days or some one in a home lab.

Adam

Did the socket come out of a bedroom?

It may have been an amateurish way to transmit a soundtrack (maybe there was a hidden cam, too) back to a laptop, so that someone could monitor nocturnal activities.... :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back