Anybody Know The Stockport Area Well?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm doing a bit of research into a demolished council estate in Stockport.

I was wondering if anyone knew when it was built?

It's the Gorsey Bank estate. So far, after much probing, the interwebby has revealed that someone was born there in 1952 and (apparently) a bomb landed on it on the 22nd or 23rd December 1940.

Can anybody else help me out please?

Thanks, guys.

Sponsored Links
I'm doing a bit of research into a demolished council estate in Stockport.

I was wondering if anyone knew when it was built?

It's the Gorsey Bank estate. So far, after much probing, the interwebby has revealed that someone was born there in 1952 and (apparently) a bomb landed on it on the 22nd or 23rd December 1940.

Can anybody else help me out please?

Thanks, guys.

I think you mean Beirut?

Hey, my sister used to live on Wood Lane in Partington. Gorsey Bank was sweet by comparison.

I remember arriving on the Wood Lane estate one day for a job, jumped down out of my van on to the pavement and the householder was waiting in his front garden.

"Watch your step....someone was stabbed to death there yesterday."

You got any ideas, terry?

Sponsored Links
Thank you, rocky.

Didn't think of that. I shall toddle off to Stockport's library next week.

I did try and get a household quote off esure's website because someone told me that they list the build date of the property when you request a quote.

Alas, the addresses have been deleted from their database. Well, the last houses were demolished in 1998....

This is what it looked like in 2008:

above2008.jpg

This is what it looks like now:

Hey, my sister used to live on Wood Lane in Partington. Gorsey Bank was sweet by comparison.

I remember arriving on the Wood Lane estate one day for a job, jumped down out of my van on to the pavement and the householder was waiting in his front garden.

"Watch your step....someone was stabbed to death there yesterday."

You got any ideas, terry?

We did the roofs on the new estate in Partington.

Yep, I have some ideas and tried to pm you but it wouldn't let me.

I know there was an Irish club there, you could get a drink from 0730hrs till 0400hrs. I think they shut for 3 hrs as a goodwill gesture to the local residents ;)

hi terry...

if you click on my username, scroll down to the beginning of comments, you'll find my email address.

Thanks.

The Gorsey Bank estate had a club? Or Wood Lane?

This is one of the few pictures I have of Gorsey Bank estate (in modern times) before it was demolished:

10058651.jpg

This was taken in 1996.

My next trick is to take a reccy and see if I can work out where the cameraman was standing.

My thanks to the Manchester Evening News for the next picture taken in the 90's:

Trouble is, after 16 years since the last buildings were taken down, it's so overtaken by nature now, things will be pretty unrecognisable I'm sure.

Hang on. Do those houses look like 1930's stock or 1950's?

Could the woman writing the report about the bomb falling on Gorsey Bank be remembering things right?

A useful resource - just a selection of historical maps I'm afraid, they are 'overlays' the underlying map / satellite view may be chosen in the top r/hand corner, there is a transparency changing slider lower left off the map

OS One-inch to the mile, Seventh Series, 1952-1961
http://tinyurl.com/omoeeuq

---------------------------------------
If you lived in Bristol you would like this :-
http://maps.bristol.gov.uk/knowyourplace/
---------------------------------------

-0-

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
OK, thanks pip!

I changed the map to OS 1937-61 and got this, but I still don't know what year exactly the mapping was done! Although it looks older than 1950's.

Thanks Pip. That's a really useful resource for people like me who like to examine old maps.

Thanking you kindly, squire! ;)

Only had the one: was there another?

The estate appears on a 45-47 map.

I have just pored over some old A-Z's.

Up to the 1974 A-Z, there was a "stub" of a cul-de-sac right at the bottom of the estate, off Gorsey Bank Road (as seen on the above old map), called Meols Grove.

Also, The two culs-de-sac closest to the main road ended in Avenue.

On my next A-Z, the 1982 version, Meols Grove is no more and Secombe Avenue and Egremont Avenue have been renamed Groves.

Only sent the one, wasn't sure if you'd got it.

May I ask what's the interest?

One of a fewblasting memories of the estate was the vile smell from the sewage farm when the wind blew in a certain direction .

Another being the amount of stolen cars being torched on the fields, sometimes two a day.

It was certainly a culture shock for a young, naive Yorkshire lad.

Sponsored Links