Apprenticeship help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I'm a 17 year old, currently working as a postman, and i've been offered a position as an apprentice in both the spark & plumbing trades. Both apprenticeships are 4 years long. I'm totally unsure which I should opt for, ideallly, I would like to go for the one which has a variation, and a broader scope.
If you was in my position, which would you opt for? and why?

Many thanks for your replies!

Sponsored Links
is the plumbing including gas :?:
if so i would do the plumbing as it pays more
but if not go as spark
also how your stomach :?:

Yeah the last 2 years of the plumbing one includes gas. Just taken this from the college website:

"In the two years of your NVQ Level 3 apprenticeship you will cover: Safety, Risk Assessments, Program Planning, Hot Water Heating Calculations, Hot Water Heating, Boosted Cold Water Systems, Oil, Gas and Maintenance of Components."

My stomach is pretty good, takes alot for me to gag or actually be sick.

Sponsored Links
Hello,
I'm a 17 year old, currently working as a postman, and i've been offered a position as an apprentice in both the spark & plumbing trades. Both apprenticeships are 4 years long. I'm totally unsure which I should opt for, ideallly, I would like to go for the one which has a variation, and a broader scope.
If you was in my position, which would you opt for? and why?
Many thanks for your replies!

I'd become a Postman :LOL:

Seriously though, 4 years isn't a long time and if you are doing both plumbing and gas/oil you will have a good trade, which in theory should keep you in installation/maintenance work, with a good wage.

See you giving advice on this forum in a few years, yeah? :)

Good luck

Which are you more interested in? Dunno about plumbing but there is quite a lot of theory with electrics (if you want to be any good), did you do physics/maths GCSE?

Try reading both the plumbing and electrics forums for a week

A mate's lad has recently finished his apprenticeship as an electrician. He's starting his HNC/HND in electrical engineering in September. Another 4 years hard slog, mostly maths he reckons, but at the end of it, he hopes to move into designing circuits for shopping centres/hospitals, office blocks etc Believe me, if he succeeds, he'll be on a lot more money than most sparks. (there again, he'll have more debt than most sparks will have). ;) ;) ;)

Which are you more interested in? Dunno about plumbing but there is quite a lot of theory with electrics (if you want to be any good), did you do physics/maths GCSE?

Try reading both the plumbing and electrics forums for a week

Aye I did physics and maths GCSE. Got an A in Maths & a B in Physics.
Was going to do both at A level before I pulled out and sought work with RM, earning a nice little earner given my age too so I don't regret it to be honest.

Funny you mention that, i've been a lurker on here for quite some time and done a fair bit of reading like! Both highly interest me, for instance, when I was at school and we was doing Design Technology, circuitry and what not always interested me, but so does Plumbing too!

Invariably, whichever one you choose, the college course will cross over to let you learn a little of the others, some skills are interchangeable. People one for instance......

DH

Forget about the plumbing and do the electrical apprenticeship mate. Plumbing and the gas industry has been milked imo.

Forget about the plumbing and do the electrical apprenticeship mate. Plumbing and the gas industry has been milked imo.
Absolutely true ! plumbing is going downhill fast and being stripped out in sections by roofers/ bathroom fitters/gas safe boiler repairers . Electrics is the way :idea: from electrics comes the computer - from plumbing comes --- water : With electrics you can go back to the thermionic valve - with plumbing you go back to --- a well :eek: Absolutely no contest - and If I`d been able to get your results in 1970 I`d have been a spark without doubt . As it happens I`ve been a lucky plumber - and I wish you good luck too.

Absolutely true ! plumbing is going downhill fast and being stripped out in sections by roofers/ bathroom fitters/gas safe boiler repairers . Electrics is the way :idea: from electrics comes the computer - from plumbing comes --- water : With electrics you can go back to the thermionic valve - with plumbing you go back to --- a well :eek: Absolutely no contest - and If I`d been able to get your results in 1970 I`d have been a spark without doubt . As it happens I`ve been a lucky plumber - and I wish you good luck too.

I'd disagree with that. Plumbers (gas fitters) have GasSafe. I dont know how gaining approval to work with gas works, but AFAIK it involves at least a year working with a qualified gas fitter (someone in the know please clarify!), whereas you can become an 'electrician' in 5 days. Electricians have NICEIC/NAPIT/and more, but more and more electrical work is being done nowadays by bathroom fitters, kitchen fitters, and even plumbers!

engstudent stick to studying young boy as your comments prove that you just havent got a clue! :LOL: "you can become an electrician in 5 days" lol :LOL: in my 23 yrs as a domestic,commercial & industrial electrician ive never come accross anyone who has become a spark in 5 days ya muppet :) + bathroom fitters kitchen fitters & even plumbers get by doing electrics on domestic properties but are not electricians by any stretch..+ domestic electrics is the least popular electrical installation work proper sparks wish to carry out or wish to get involved in! fact..commercial industrial work is of much more skilled in every sense beleive me ive done both..micc cable conduit tray trunking ladderracking swa cabling installing switchgear mains changeovers,control wiring motors..i could go on mate..this sort of work gives me a living of £30,000+ easy a yr even in these tough times..(35/40k in the good times)also i have worked on overseas projects in europe & south america as well as all over the uk..but now choose to just work local :) choose what you are interested in doxa or maybe try out both in work experience..plumbing is also a good trade..and my final point in my proffesion is that even in this economic climate all the decent electricians that i know still get work

Hey guys, sorry to bring up a 'dead thread' I guess, just didn't want to start a new one!

The college had lost my results and interview notes so I had to sit their diagnostics all over again, passed with Maths & English at Level 3 standard, now comes the arduous task of finding an employer!

I've opted for the Electro-technical apprenticeship after doing some further research online and seeing what both would consist of and having numerous chats with the tutors at college & current apprentices on both courses. Here's the next hurdle;
In which manner would you wish an apprentice to approach you for employment? I don't want to come across as being abit of a mongo to them haha. Would it be best to ring up or just hand in a CV or what?
They never really explained it, all the college said was, find an employer and let us know how you get on and you'll be starting the second week of September.

Thanks once again for all the previous responses, you all helped a tonne, hopefully you guys can give us a hand with this next Q! Cheers.

You may find it tough, but good luck. My advice would be to write first with a CV. Tryt to research and get a NAME to adress to. Either the proprietor of a small firm, or HR in a bigger one.

Write the letter concisely, and with respect and courtesy. Supply contact number and adress, and explain that you will telephone shortly, and do so in about a week.

Complete a CV, and make sure you explain exactly what course you will be starting.

When phoning, you MUST know who to ask for, as the 1st person who answers will be tasked to stop time wasters. You could honestly say that Mr/ Ms/ Mr **** is expecting your call.

Don't be disheartened at the rejections, and try not to take them personally. Speak clearly, and have some crib notes to hand. Don't bluster, and don't refer to the boss as "mate".

Good luck.

Sponsored Links
Back