Are Baretts the homebuilder about to go bust?

Sponsored Links
As the article says, Taylor-Wimpey also in the same clag and laying people off. Other reports say they may not survive their cash-flow crisis

So does this mean the end of Estate Agents, Solicitors et al? :rolleyes:

Well we've had two EAs shut within an easy walk of me in the past fortnight - so I'd say there are plenty that will collapse. Solicitors, however, will never collapse as they do other work at exorbitant rates. It's the old cartel in action.

Sponsored Links
The housing companies are just cutting their cloth accordingly. They've made significant profits over the last few years as they've ridden the property boom. Now, things are different.

Barratt's massive 'debt' is mainly due to their takeover of Wilson Bowden last year. So although a debt, it is more viewed as investment by the loanees. (think Man U + the Glaziers - massive 'debt' but funded accordingly to make money long term)

Problem with the housebuilders is the thing that everyone calls 'the credit crunch' but no one really knows what it is. A couple of events, news of which spread like wildfire across the globe, causing massive ripples and precautionary actions by many many institutions. Once that 'ball' had started rolling no-one was going to stop it. And, eventually is has crept into all our daily lives in the form of the housing market slump.

These housebuilders could not have predicted it, but my personal view is that should have been more realistic with their future business models. To knee jerk and suddenly start laying off a massive amount of people smacks of panic and (with such huge profits behind them for the previuos years) is a little unsavoury.

They made hay whilst the sun was shining. now they will have to wait for the sun to shine again. In the meantime they will reduce in size, consolidate, merge and re-adjust. But I would be suprised if any of the major players will go bust...but.....

It just saddens me that they were not more sensible with their long term plans.

Are they called "Barratt Developments"?

Share price dropped from £10 a year ago to 40p today

Looks like it...

bdev

Are they called "Barratt Developments"?

Share price dropped from £10 a year ago to 40p today

Looks like it...

bdev

Hey, I may have to invest a couple of grand in them............. yeah, they're sunk now! :LOL:

wimpey homes are in big trouble
they have been snapping up loads of land when the prices were very high and now no-one is buying houses.The land is useless for the purpose it was bought, so they need to raise millions to get them through but apparently its not looking good for a backer at the moment.
already 900 office based staff have been laid off

And Who was it on here when i predicted this recession and house collapse about a year ago, it is the 10 year cycle i was telling you all about but seems its now a 15 year cycle.

My next prediction is that house prices will lose 80% of there value from now to the next 4 years. This is going to be fun watching all the landlords
sell sell sell, and i cant wait for the next episode of location location

Here we have a 4 bed detached house and was valued at £300 grand
3 year ago but now its on the market for £45000

hee heee hee hoo hoo hoo cant wait suicide rates will ten fold get yea money in the undertaking bussines the shares will make yee a fortune.

It is the 10 year cycle i was telling you all about but seems its now a 15 year cycle.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

My next prediction is that house prices will lose 80% of there value from now to the next 4 years. This is going to be fun watching all the landlords
sell sell sell, and i cant wait for the next episode of location location
Lets see if this prediction is as accurate as your last.

Here we have a 4 bed detached house and was valued at £300 grand
3 year ago but now its on the market for £45000
Inflation will never allow that amount of fall, although values in real terms will fall.

get yea money in the undertaking bussines the shares will make yee a fortune.

No..........Undertaking is a dying trade.

80% correction? absolute *******s. interest rates will soon be cut and that should release a bit of pressure on debt. things will slowly work there way out. 20% correction will probably happen, but that is what was needed. everyone is panicking at the moment.

80% correction? absolute ****. interest rates will soon be cut and that should release a bit of pressure on debt. things will slowly work there way out. 20% correction will probably happen, but that is what was needed. everyone is panicking at the moment.

Dont think so marsa you betta sell sell boyo or yea will be a swinging from the bridges like the rest of the landlords.

I hope they dont go under for the sake of the guys in the trade...got a feeling this is going to be one miserable winter.. :(

This winter and every winter till the end of human history.

Sponsored Links
Back