Are BG quotes getting more competitive ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have posted a couple of times on here about how I am considering changing my existing 1994 fitted back boiler in the lounge with a new combi in the kitchen. I read all over the web that BG are over priced and not competitive and to try a few local plumbers to get other quotes.

The work includes lifting carpets/floor at the first floor level running pipes under to re-locate the boiler in the kitchen. Looking at a Worcester 25i, remote/wifi thermostat and a couple of new radiators, TRVs, power flush,magnaclean, descaler and soak away as the unit has no direct access to waste. Removal of all old tanks, hot water tanks and old boiler/gas fire mounted on the front.

British Gas have quoted £4100 and two local fitters have quoted £3750 and £3500 though the last one wants to fit it in the roof space. One of the local fitters work plans listed around 10 items with no cost breakdown and a total price and said I had to lift and refit the carpets myself. Very disappointing. I am not really after the cheapest price but just want a good professional job done at a fair price. So far BG seem to have been the most professional in terms of discussing the work and providing the most comprehensive quote.

I really want to get the work done in the summer.

A fall back would be to have the system power flushed, new magna clean fitted and the new radiators and stick with BG on my 400 contract. I pay £120 a month for electric and gas in an old style three bed simi. Not sure how much I would save with a new boiler ?

I pay £30 a month for the 400 contract this which is the old contract before they now charge you a fixed £99 for any call out. Last year we had £600 of work carried out and get the normal annual service.

I never realised it would be such hard work getting quotes. Glad I have decided to do this before the winter.

Jerry

Sponsored Links
I really want to get the work done in the summer.

I never realised it would be such hard work getting quotes. Glad I have decided to do this before the winter.

Jerry

I would avoid British Gas as their boilers do not have the full manufacturers guarantee.

BG will only give you 12 months warranty for example on a Worcester Bosch boiler, where you can get between 5-7 year warranty from an independent fitter depending on accreditation status.

I have recently had BG estimate which was about £1000 more expensive than a one man job that will take more pride in his work.

As long as the boiler is serviced every year by a Gas Safe registered plumber, the warranty should stay valid.

think you are wrong about warranties, if bg fit a worcester then the warranty is with worcester, many of their models offer 5 years. if you left bg a yr after fitting the boiler, worcester would I guarantee honour the warranty.

bg do good professional installs as well

and before you say i'm a bg man, i'm not, i'm a self employed worcester accredited installer

Sponsored Links
think you are wrong about warranties, if bg fit a worcester then the warranty is with worcester, many of their models offer 5 years.

There is nothing in the paperwork estimate I was given regarding warranty, other than the free BG cover for for 1 year.

The BG salesman said 10 years, but nothing on paper as mentioned.

I was told by independent gas safe fitters that BG boilers are only covered for 1 year as they buy them cheap, and not covered by the long warranties.

Well I have BG coming round again to give me a quote for a power flush, magna clean and new radiator. I will quiz him about warranties for boilers.

Regards

Jerry

They should be powerflushing for free as part of the boiler change well not free as such but inclusive

They should be powerflushing for free as part of the boiler change well not free as such but inclusive

So free then :LOL:

It's usually cheaper to get a PF/other upgrade as part of an install than a standalone quote.

Well yes the quote for the new boiler system replacement stroke move was including a power flush and new magnabooster and new radiator.

The BG guy came around and gave me another quote replacing one old radiator, adding a new one and a powerflush plus magnabooster at a cost of £1050.

He was really helpful and even got out the new magnabooster 3 to show me. The newer over the version 2 is better with a larger chamber and the magnet on the outside. He told me that although my back boiler was installed in 1996 it still seems fine, if inefficient, and some of the parts are not available any more.

All the other quotes have told me that if the powerflush results in leaks or problems then any work to rectify this will be chargeable as an extra over the quote. BG said I am covered under my contract so any problems that result will be repaired under the contract and including a new radiator. Once powerflushed the system is guaranteed providing I keep up my contract and annual service which I plan to anyway.

I am going to go with this as ALL this work will have to be done anyway even if I need a new boiler. This way I can split the work in two, getting this done now and get a new boiler later hopefully after it lasts another couple of years.

Ps we also discussed this new remote wifi thermostat which again I was planning to get with the new boiler. Although I have not asked for that I am going to read up more about them as well as my existing thermostat is rather pointlessly installed on the first floor in the landing ?

Regards

Jerry

The BG guy came around and gave me another quote replacing one old radiator, adding a new one and a powerflush plus magnabooster at a cost of £1050.

£1050 just to install 2 radiators.

BG quoted me £300 as part of boiler install to fit a filter that costs £85

Powerflush should cost no more than £300.

That leaves a clear £400 to install 2 radiators. :rolleyes:

£1050 just to install 2 radiators.

BG quoted me £300 as part of boiler install to fit a filter that costs £85

Powerflush should cost no more than £300.

That leaves a clear £400 to install 2 radiators. :rolleyes:

Windows in my house like for like cost about £1200 material only. Local companies would have charged me £4-5K

I've been to 2 people to quote recently where BG have quoted, one was to replace a 12kw heat only boiler like for like in same location. BG quoted £3750, I told the customer that she should keep her Ultimate FF as it was a good boiler and it wasnt at risk just cos the electrical cover was a bit loose.
Then this week I went to quote for straight swap 24kw combi, BG quoted £3890 including gas re-run which is totally unnecessary
I think you should try another quote, get some recommendations.

blimey who let you out ! The voice of BG speaks again ! You have to be the worst advert for BG I've ever come across :LOL:

• Thanks
Reactions: oph

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back