Are consumer 13A sockets double-pole switched ?

JM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Kind of thought they were single pole (L) but now informed all uk sockets inc. domestic are DP switched.

Curiosity value only. Are they ?

Sponsored Links
AIUI there is no requirement for double pole switching in the standards, some brands do it anyway others don't.

Even if known to be double pole and have the contact gap required for isolation I would be very reluctant to rely on a socket or FCU switch for safety isolation since it has no provision for lockout and very little resistance to accidental operation.

MK_k781whi.jpg

:?:

Sponsored Links
Even if known to be double pole and have the contact gap required for isolation I would be very reluctant to rely on a socket or FCU switch for safety isolation since it has no provision for lockout and very little resistance to accidental operation.
In relation to an FCU, I would agree with you - unless, perhaps, the FCU was very close to where I was working (but, even then, there is the risk of accidental operation, particularly given that they are "down=on" switches).

However, I don't see any issue in relation to sockets (whether DP or otherwise)- to achieve pretty foolproof isolation, one pulls the plug out :)

Kind Regards, John

not all switched sockets are DP switched.

I understand that switched sockets cannot be used for boilers for this reason. Either unswitched socket so the plug has to be withdrawn (so guaranteeing all poles isolation) or a FCU. FCUs are DP switched.

I have come across cheap and nasty (and quite probably non-compliant with BS despite being marked BS) FCU's with SP switching.

Nightmare when they are wired up RP.

As far as I'm aware the only sockets that are 2 pole switched are those specifically designed to use in touring caravans.

This has become over-complicated

Kind of thought they were single pole (L) but now informed all uk sockets inc. domestic are DP switched.
Both wrong.

Curiosity value only. Are they ?
No.

There are single pole switched sockets and double pole switched sockets...

and then there are those in my picture.

There is actually no need for a switch on any socket.

As far as I'm aware the only sockets that are 2 pole switched are those specifically designed to use in touring caravans.
All 7 brands of 'white' 13A sockets currently listed on TLCs website (BG, Contactum, Crabtree, MK, "Pure Range", Telco & "Ultimate Range") claim to have DP switches. In the case of Crabtree, there appears to also be a SP alternative available, but for all the other makes, one seems to have no choice but to have DP.

I find it difficult to believe that all sockets bought from TLC are being used in (or were "specifically designed to use in") touring caravans :)

Kind Regards, John

AIUI there is no requirement for double pole switching in the standards, some brands do it anyway others don't.

Socket-outlets are eminently suitable for isolation, if you pull the plug out and put it in a locked enclosure!

You missed the important part!
I don't doubt that you will think of some 'exceptions which prove the rule' but, in general, leads with plugs on are usually sufficiently short that the person working on whatever it is connected to will be so much in control over what happens to the plug that 'the important part' probably is not all that important :)

[On reflection, I suppose that there are situations in which one wishes to isolate for reasons other than that one is working on the connected equipment, in which case I admit that your 'important part' (or maybe even removing the plug!) could become important]

Kind Regards, John

All 7 brands of 'white' 13A sockets currently listed on TLCs website (BG, Contactum, Crabtree, MK, "Pure Range", Telco & "Ultimate Range") claim to have DP switches. In the case of Crabtree, there appears to also be a SP alternative available, but for all the other makes, one seems to have no choice but to have DP.

Marbo sockets have a SP version.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back