are freeview recorders going out off fashion ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
dont do pay for or use internet services[appart from i player] dont do adverts so all my tv is freeview recorded or occasional i player liveish
as a machine is playing up i though get a machine spare in "bni"box for continuity ------ but few and far between --are they out off fashion now ??

Sponsored Links
Very little need to record these days , have freesat and last box I picked up for free (Humax).
Internet gives you access to just about anything you want to watch .

Very little need to record these days , have freesat and last box I picked up for free (Humax).
Internet gives you access to just about anything you want to watch .
indeed but i need to record to flick through the adverts yes i know its my choice as i dont want a subscription and cant get internet on 2 out off 3 boxes :)

indeed but i need to record to flick through the adverts yes i know its my choice as i dont want a subscription and cant get internet on 2 out off 3 boxes :)
Must be ancient boxes to not have web connectivity ?

Sponsored Links
i replaced my humax that had been playing up - only last week, got another humax , had a few and many around the family
Humax Aura 2GB model - no offers - paid full retail
we did discuss if we would bother , as we have catchup - but felt it would be worth it - because of how we choose to view things
we do use the catch up for previous 7 days a lot and this one also shows future programs that are available in catchup

main reason is we pretty record everything and rarely watch live now - so we can skip the adverts , often watching a program maybe 15mins or so after started and then usually we can skip all adverts till the end
These days the end of a program before ads tell what its going to show next and then after the ads what it has already shown , we skip that too - reducing programs that are an hour to less than 40mins

You mean line of sight of the transmitter?
that bit is ok its the internet signal
i can get a chrome cast to work as its connected by a 10ft hdmi cable so in direct line off sight throught 4 panes off glass and 50ft away but need to stand in the same spot with my phone to operate rather sat 8 ft away and only bbc programs can get tedious as the only free advert free content hence the boxes

i replaced my humax that had been playing up - only last week, got another humax , had a few and many around the family
Humax Aura 2GB model - no offers - paid full retail
we did discuss if we would bother , as we have catchup - but felt it would be worth it - because of how we choose to view things
we do use the catch up for previous 7 days a lot and this one also shows future programs that are available in catchup

main reason is we pretty record everything and rarely watch live now - so we can skip the adverts , often watching a program maybe 15mins or so after started and then usually we can skip all adverts till the end
These days the end of a program before ads tell what its going to show next and then after the ads what it has already shown , we skip that too - reducing programs that are an hour to less than 40mins
1 off the boxes is a humax that lives in my workshop

i was given a free tv box with talk talk about 10 years ago played with it for about a week using the up down program selecting method but never touched it again as i found having to spell things out on remote control was the worst experience ever as i have 20mm wide fingers so wont use a keypad 100 press method o_O

i can get a chrome cast to work as its connected by a 10ft hdmi cable so in direct line off sight throught 4 panes off glass and 50ft away but need to stand in the same spot with my phone to operate rather sat 8 ft away and only bbc programs can get tedious as the only free advert free content hence the boxes
Sounds like you need to sort your Wi-Fi out.

Sounds like you need to sort your Wi-Fi out.
the wifi is absolutely perfect for my needs laptop and mobile dont use or want to use anything else
the only reason i wanted to try the Chromecast was because i swapped the corrugated plastic roof on a storage area for polycarbonate making it drip free so turned it into a nice outside sunroom and wanted variety other than just live bbc as an advert free subscription free viewing whilst over time checking the sutability in spells off windy'wet'stormy weather and it passed so put a freeveiw recorder box in for comfort

the wifi is absolutely perfect for my needs laptop and mobile dont use or want to use anything else
the only reason i wanted to try the Chromecast was because i swapped the corrugated plastic roof on a storage area for polycarbonate making it drip free so turned it into a nice outside sunroom and wanted variety other than just live bbc as an advert free subscription free viewing whilst over time checking the sutability in spells off windy'wet'stormy weather and it passed so put a freeveiw recorder box in for comfort
Sorry lost me there, not sure how a plastic roof and Wi-Fi and storage area are linked .Hope you find what you are looking for , whatever it is.

Sorry lost me there, not sure how a plastic roof and Wi-Fi and storage area are linked .Hope you find what you are looking for , whatever it is.
yes sorry if confusing its just infill story to try and give more off the picture but thanks for everyones help anyway (y) :giggle:

There's no way you can get cable to that spot running back to your router?

That would be a more solid connection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back