are freeview recorders going out off fashion ??

There's no way you can get cable to that spot running back to your router?

That would be a more solid connection.
those are options i have to think about iff the freeview recorder route dies a death
about 30 years ago the set up was vhs coax from aeriel plus video recorders up stream to main tv and recorders then distribute to all seven tvs through house and garden via giving each video recorder a different rf output 2 apart from other channels so any video could be watched on any tv

Sponsored Links
Blimey, that's complicated!
could easy record tape to tape but off course quality suffers iff too much cable
it all started with the first vhs recorder i ever had that was down stairs early 80s it has a wire remote control so set up a remote wire extension to the bedroom above for control and a return feed for play so i could watch certain types off videos in a more comfortable setting
it blossomed from there
as an aside the vhs from memmory was £468 the 60m vhs tape was about £6 and the 180tape was about £12 about a months spare cash early 80s lol

My TVs record anything they can see, manually or using the programme timer, I have a hard drive connected with a USB, tucked behind.

I still have a recorder on the shelf, but not needed now.

IIRC they will also record onto a memory stick. The car has a USB input so I suppose I could record radio progs.

Sponsored Links
Free view recorders are still sold, I've used 2 Panasonic for over 10 years and even bought a new spare in case my current recorder fails. Wouldn't be without it because I prefer to watch recorded material, it will also archive programs to a DVD.

havent bothered to get into usb or dvd as i like the select programs series or single and forget then i just watch the oldest in sequence switching between several different for variety 'i will tend to watch current programs like martin lewis or peston at least 20mins after starting so never catch up with any adverts on
i definatly need the watch one recording whilst recording 2 others capacity for it to work the way i like it

those are options i have to think about iff the freeview recorder route dies a death
about 30 years ago the set up was vhs coax from aeriel plus video recorders up stream to main tv and recorders then distribute to all seven tvs through house and garden via giving each video recorder a different rf output 2 apart from other channels so any video could be watched on any tv
Blimey, that's complicated!
Not complicated with coax connections, simply peer to peer, or with splitters, Tees, etc.
Hard wired internet has to all go back to the router. And with so mnay connections back to the router, a patch panel would be needed.

I would not bother with anything freeview as so limited to what I can get, Moel-y-sant is rather poor, as to free to air from satellite I have been considering dumping sky, but to dump sky means I need to hard wire or at least replace the sky Q boxes, even the youtube etc, I view through the sky Q box.

I can rewind up to an hour, so if not channel jumping I can turn one before ready to watch, then rewind and then fast forward on each advert, but I have not recorded TV with anything but sky Q for years, and to be frank most of the time I am watching you tube, but can record onto a portable hard drive easy enough, so can move TV to TV if I really want to.

dont do pay for or use internet services[appart from i player] dont do adverts so all my tv is freeview recorded or occasional i player liveish
as a machine is playing up i though get a machine spare in "bni"box for continuity ------ but few and far between --are they out off fashion now ??

There are a lot of things happening at the same time.

(1) Freeview and Freesat used to be separate entities. Although both part of the public service broadcast system they were almost rivals, each negotiating their own contracts with the various TV channel providers. That has changed. The two companies have been brought together and merged under a new name - Everyone TV

(2) TV is including more streamed content. Catch-up provides a way to access recent programming from the past week. For those with fast enough broadband and very simple needs this is a good enough alternative to having a recorder box. There are catches though. Not every channel has a catch-up service. The commercial channels make you sit through adverts with no ability to skip them. Also, if you want to watch something again, but it's now more than 7 days old, you're out of luck unless it appears as a featured programme in iPlayer or ITVX or one of the other main channel streaming services

(3) The future landscape of terrestrial and satellite broadcasting is being reshaped. There are plans afoot to move to an internet service for several of the major channel groups (BBC, ITV, Ch4, C5).

As a result of the above, and probably some other stuff as well, the market for TV recording boxes has polarised. If we just deal with the boxes for Freeview, there are cheap receiver-only boxes for £20-£40 from brand names that are largely unknown quantities. August, Clarity, Teknikal and the like. At these prices they have no built-in hard drives. Recording is possible via a USB-connected pen drive or hard drive. You have to purchase that as an extra. This all replicates what a lot of TVs do. They'll allow the user to record what they're watching, but not a different channel. There's only one tuner, you see. In a sense you could say that it's not too different from an old skool VHS VCR. They only recorded one channel at once.

The rest of what is available in new gear in the market is a toss-up between Humax STBs and Panasonic DVD/Blu-ray recorders with Freeview reception. It's all quite expensive.

Here you have products with two, three or more tuners which enables them to receive and record for channels where the programmes overlap. Apart from some basic DVD recorders, they all have built-in hard drives onto which the recordings are made. A big thing with these boxes, particularly the new Humax Aura, is Freeview Play and streaming app support for services such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Now TV. Apparently the world will stop tuning unless every blo.. every flipping device is stuffed to the gunnels with streaming apps. We are expected to accept that this somehow justifies the loss of 3-channel recorders for £100~£150 and their replacement with 3-channel recorders with apps for £250-£400.

The hole in between the two extremes is currently serviced by used boxes. eBay and classified ads prices on these things are starting to go silly. YouView boxes that you might have picked up dirt cheap 18~24 months ago are now being advertised at prices around £100. Humax FVP-5000T boxes are fetching £100-£240 used depending on the hard drive size. There are even seller palming off SD-only Humax boxes for around £40!

If you're not looking to spend a fortune, but you still want something with usable features, then second-hand is the way to go. There's stuff on eBay and the other classifieds sites. You just have to pick your way through all the battle-scarred units and ones with no remotes or missing bits such as the battery compartment lids. Alternatively, if you want something trustworthy and in good condition then message me. I keep a few as stock for customers in the same boat.

very interesting read , as always @Lucid
point 3 particularly , no wonder broadband deals seems to be going up with so much now using relying on the internet, landlines , terrestrial TV and various appliances.

They will have to do something about the bbc license fee , in fact my sons rarely watch live terrestrial TV now , pretty much only thing watched live is sport and thats via SKY/NOW TV or they watch live youtube sometimes.

As mentioned previously we just purchased an Aura Humax box and record most things to skip through the adverts.

I also like that anything in the future thats repeated is available on the guide and just goes to catchup (as this box is new , still need to workout if its available on catchup and shows a red arrow , how i then record rather than click OK which goes to catchup ) - nice feature ,
as well as the past 7 days (which we used a lot on the old humax youview box).

This box has 4 tuners , so on some occasions on the old box I had to change to the +1 channel when more than 2 things overlapped , so much easier with the 4 tuners - I would never have thought that was needed - but its amazing how many things do overlap now

excellent post lucid thank you as always
it seems i will eventually have to change
as my requirements are
1 set up and forget
2 record 2 and watch one
3 no adverts ever[if quick enough]
4 no ongoing costs[subscriptions]
5 no internet possible on two off the 3 tvs
6 no typing in words just list selection
i dont or havent used dxds dongles [appart from chrome cast] or other modern memory sticks its machine until it fails nothing other than required cables ever inserted

excellent post lucid thank you as always
it seems i will eventually have to change
as my requirements are
1 set up and forget
2 record 2 and watch one
3 no adverts ever[if quick enough]
4 no ongoing costs[subscriptions]
5 no internet possible on two off the 3 tvs
6 no typing in words just list selection
i dont or havent used dxds dongles [appart from chrome cast] or other modern memory sticks its machine until it fails nothing other than required cables ever inserted
One of the HD Humax boxes will cover pretty much all of that. Just for clarity, the adverts are those on TV, so you can skip those in a recording by using fast-forward. Regarding 'set up and forget'. you don't really have that with any terrestrial TV receiver or recorder. If or when the TV channels are rejigged again like has happened with all the retune events, then just like your TVs, any recorder box will need to rescan to pick up the new channel locations.

as Lucid has replied

my answered relatting to the New Humax AURA , i have now had a few weeks
1 set up and forget - pretty much - it has will also keep I believe a schedule for 13weeks - so any delay or change to schedule or new episode released later will be picked up - My old youview did this as well
2 record 2 and watch one - mine records 4 channels - so yes record 2 at same time and watch a 3rd channel, my old youview did this as well
3 no adverts ever[if quick enough] - i have setup the jump forward button arrow to skip 1 minute forward and to skip back 15 seconds - so a few presses of the arrow skips forward, my old youview did this as well
4 no ongoing costs[subscriptions] - nope only licence fee, unless you want apps like netflix/prime - has a prime video button, no Netflix button which my TV has
5 no internet possible on two off the 3 tvs - Not sure i understand
6 no typing in words just list selection - no words needed all guide lists and recording lists, unless search, old youview no words needed unlessusing search

you can also record from anywhere using the aura app - so if out and something comes on or advertised you can setup via interent , old youview did this with a different app on phone

The guide goes forward 7 days and you can then record any future programme on its own or series - old youview did this
The guide allows you to go back 7 days and watch anything thats is available on catchup - NOT all is available - but you see an arrow if it is , old youview the same
The guide going forward also shows if that programme is available to watch on catchup - not sure how then to record - not tried yet, youview did not use catchup for future programmes, new feature
if you click onto a programme that has already started in the guide and if available on catchup service - then it will ask if you want to watch live - OR watch from the start

The list of your programmes recorded are available at the push of a button and also whats scheduled for future - old youview the same
Not played with much more to see how it works out,
Not had to do a software update not sure if/how it notifies you for that
Not had to do a retune not sure if/how it notifies you for that

Not yet used the Chromecast facility , or media connection if it has it , or plugged a USB into the machine and played (i did do that on the old humax up until i got a Apple TV box and stream from my laptop , instead)

overall despite being very expensive ( i decided on the 2TB one as we where always running out of space on the 500gb youview , i keep a lot of the music programmmes from skyarts & BBC4 ) we are pleased with the machine.
pretty much had Humax from around 2004 ish - had a different make before that
But choice now seemed very limited and not cheap from last time i changed

The live TV button is very useful on the remote - just push that to come out of anything and goto live TV on whatever channel last on

Last edited:
One of the HD Humax boxes will cover pretty much all of that. Just for clarity, the adverts are those on TV, so you can skip those in a recording by using fast-forward. Regarding 'set up and forget'. you don't really have that with any terrestrial TV receiver or recorder. If or when the TV channels are rejigged again like has happened with all the retune events, then just like your TVs, any recorder box will need to rescan to pick up the new channel locations.
slightly more input

just me living here i have one box in the house used every day
i have one box in the unheated well glazed area, only usable for perhaps 30% off the year with up to 6 weeks not in use other than sunny winter days when a few hours off possible use or summer out off the sun and early evenings again a few hours in summer where the hot hot heat subdews
other than that its the shed/workshop where i spend all summer sitting on my bench ouside listening to the tv in the shed mostly in my boxers[sorry about that vision its brain destroying as i am 70 lol ]

the select and forget just means there is some content to review some will be old and duplicated but thats ok i just need enough to watch

if a machine is out off use it just means there are no programs added or no retuning happening but thats ok as the more used box will have daily programs added and retunes rather than just series programs added
in other words its very very relaxed i need just input it will be anything judge judy or scrapheap challenge or heartbeat or what ever the content is off minimal importance it can be missed or out off order as i am always doing something else it is no more than fill in the say 10-50% off time the task in hand doesnt fully occupy my brain[background entertainment] i have never ever been satisfied by sitting on my bum and watching as thats not fulfilling it can only ever be secondary as a background infill as the contents off someone else's brain as fantasy is not entertainment it is just some thing else to bisect and find fault as not accurate or truthful :giggle:
as an aside a black and white tv would be ok as the content rather than the graphics stimulate my brain

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back