ARE MODERN HIGH EFFICIENT BOILERS MUCH BETTER ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a baxi 105e its 5 years old, would i save much money in gas if i replaced it with a modern high efficiency boiler ?

Sponsored Links
you would save a bit of gas

however you would pay much more for the boiler installation so you will be worse off.

A more efficient boiler will recoup its cost in 10 to 20 years.

Invest your money wisely until the old boiler becomes irrepairable. Or spend it on improved loft and cylinder insulation and cavity wall and draughtproofing, all of which will save gas and bring a better return on your money than changing boilers.

As a guide,

According to SEDBUK the efficiency of your boiler Baxi 105e is 78.5% (rated at band D)

http://www.sedbuk.com/

Band A, the most efficient boilers are typically 91%

So a modern boiler will be 12% more efficient than yours.

From here you need to do the maths yourself, because it depends how much gas you use and what the cost of a new boiler would be. It's a bit simplistic, and other factors are involved but it will give you an idea.

Sponsored Links
Your boiler will give 79 percent more or or less all the time for a condensing boiler to give 90% it has to be set up perfect and even then it will not give it constantly so the saving is far less than the 12% percent it looks ..
Dont waste your money keep what you have

A more efficient boiler will recoup its cost in 10 to 20 years.

Some chance...most of the manufacturers reps will tell you modern boilers (with the exception of a few makes) are only expected to last 5 to 10 years...that's being very optimistic for some of the models.

Add the fact that modern boilers are full of design faults, a PITA to repair, the lack of knowledgable boiler repair engineers, the extortionate cost of some spares, the declining standard of installations, the lack of proper servicing etc etc

25 - 30 years is old for a boiler!!

no its not! dont they make anything to last these days :rolleyes:

ok Im only joking but it did happen to us 3yrs ago, had a spacesaver 1 that decided to blow the heat exchanger, anyway i know this is purely annecdotal but i chose to fit a greenstar he.

so looking at the gas bills over the 2 preceding quarters we were paying excess on standing orders in the order of £500 or there abouts.

apart from the total satisfaction with the boiler, we are now constantly in credit £200+

it is annectdotal but i guess its paid for its self

Some chance... etc etc

yes I know that. the point I had in mind is that, like double glazing, the energy it saves is such a small proportion of the cost that it is not a good investment. there's no sense in spending £2000 to only save £100 a year.

If you have to buy a new boiler, or windows, because your old ones are falling to bits, then it makes sense to take an energy-efficient option.

I have had reports form customers that their gas bills have reduced but you have to save an awful lot of gas to recoup the replacement costs... Replace it when your existing boiler is kippered. A baxi 105E is a pretty good boiler and worth holding on to. At five years old it is time to take all those stickers off that folk leave on for ever :LOL:

***** ur going to change your boiler just because ur pcb klicked out then in again for a second ? . just leave it , it will take ages to save 1200 in gas even if your buying the odd pcb :confused:

draught proofing is the number one money saver.
if it ain't broke, don't replace it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back