Are wall mounted gas fires "modern"

Used to do that too.....preferable to pouring down the grid like lots of folk used to back then....

Sponsored Links
I remember my time in the '70s fondly, but there are many that don't.
Literally...

Road deaths a third of what they were in the '70s despite the number of cars on the roads having tripled...
Infant mortality rate a third of what it was in the '70s...
Fatal work accidents a third of what it was in the '70s...
Winter deaths half what they were in the '70s despite an 18% increase in population...
Life expectancy (M/F) now 79/83 as opposed to 69/75 in the 70's
(maybe that inequality ought to be addressed in the serena williams topic?)

However, 3 out of 5 of those are now recently rising again...
And 1 is falling (life expectancy)...
Tories in power a factor/coincidence?

Glad I was born in 78’, sounds like I wouldn’t have survived if I were born any sooner!!

Literally...

Road deaths a third of what they were in the '70s despite the number of cars on the roads having tripled...
Infant mortality rate a third of what it was in the '70s...
Fatal work accidents a third of what it was in the '70s...
Winter deaths half what they were in the '70s despite an 18% increase in population...
Life expectancy (M/F) now 79/83 as opposed to 69/75 in the 70's
(maybe that inequality ought to be addressed in the serena williams topic?)
And how many things in the 70's were much better for us than say, the 30's? And how many things will be better than right now in say, another 40 years?
It's not the 70's at 'fault'. It's just us humans learning, improving, moving forward. 1970's were great!

Sponsored Links
Glad I was born in 78’, sounds like I wouldn’t have survived if I were born any sooner!!
Possibly not.

See Fig. 1 "Figure 1: Infant, neonatal, postneonatal and perinatal mortality rates, 1986 to 2016"

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...y-rates-increase-in-england-and-wales-in-2016

I can't find the 1970's rates, but they were worse.
UK rates have mostly been improving, but in the last year or two have got a bit worse.
In 1990, UK used to be the 7th best European country in this regard, but is now 21st.
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...psineuropeanchildmortalityrankings/2017-10-13

Well done, Jeremy C. Hunt.

I think you're on the Red line now. Youngsters are on the Blue line and now about half as likely to die as you were,

Figure 6_ Standardised age-specific deaths indexed to 100 in 1981, males.png

Tories in power a factor/coincidence?

Yes, we all so well off now, we are all working shorter hours and eating far too much rich food....Tories have caused the obesity crisis :unsure:

The Gas Board coming round to change us all over North Sea Gas, waiting 2 years for a phone line to be installed, or half an hour to use a ****y phone-box, Watneys Red Barrel, Blue Nun and Liebfraumilch, 3 channels on the telly (if you had a telly, and it might have been black-and-white), the IRA blowing things up, no smoke detectors or fire-retardent foam fillings, torch batteries and bulbs that died after two weeks, proper red and black cables with no earth sleeving, going metric, being grateful for anything for christmas even if it came from the second-hand shop ...

I remember my time in the '70s fondly, but there are many that don't. I'm sure all those that were 'comforted' by Rolf, Jimmy, Max and the like. You could pinch a womans' erse and get away with it back then. Funny old chauvinistic times.

Yes thats so true,I mean it's not like right now there are thousands of under age white girls being raped and abused by organised gangs is it.

Were all those whose think the seventies good teenagers at the time?
Isn't that why they remember them fondly? Do we all think the teen times were the best?
I do. The sixties.

What about -
House prices and oil had just quadrupled in price.
Three day week (not such a bad idea).
Power cuts.
Inflation.
Wage control leading to the Winter of discontent.

Then to cap it all, the witch becomes Prime Minister leading to all the troubles she caused.

I mean it's not like right now
Yes, actually it was. Thousands of children were abused back then. Do you not reads the news? Care homes, hospitals, religious gatherings, relatives abusing kids etc. There was systematic abuse also. You are naïve if you think it was not going on and in a big way, in the 70's.

Ah well.. at least you could afford a house to live your miserable, possibly in the dark, life in.

I was, I suspect, younger than some here in the seventies, but I thought it was brill, fab and ace (see what I did there?).

Abba, Scalextric, Choppers, Space hoppas, Space Dust, Smiths crisps and Cresta to name but a few.

Power cuts not so cool...
You forgot to mention AID's

Sponsored Links
Back