Are we obsessed by length and girth? (of cables)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just a few things that I'm a little curious about, with regards cable size, ring radial etc...

One job that I have done in the past was to install a dedicated ring main running through the bilge of a boat so the owner could fit frost heaters to prevent freezing during the winter months. So I ran 1.5 mm flex (flex is normally used on boats for ring circuits b4 u say anything) from a spare connector on the (switched) bus to each socket and back again. Pukka.

Now the thing is, there seems to be little consistency with boat wiring as from the bus a single 1.5mm wire then goes to a MCB on the user electrical panel and 1.5mm back to a distribution board? (As per all the other circuits)

Also, all these large cable sizes throughout the boat and then connected to shorepower through - Yep 20 metres of 1.5mm flex with an inline electric meter. :rolleyes:

2 x 1.25Kw Calorifier, microwave, washing machine, barbeque plus bits and bobs. (OK, unlikely to be ALL on at same time but all adds up)

My point is (yes there is a point!), how much current can a single cable/flex carry ACTUALLY? And is the limit of one spur off of a ring circuit really overkill?

When a customer asks for an additional socket to be fitted, spurred from an existing socket and that socket turns out to be a spur itself. Do you then insist on tearing the house up in order to create a complete ring circuit? Tricky aint it. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Then again, I've never seen a poverty stricken sparky!

Look forward to your comments.

TA TA

A very bored insomniac! :eek:

Sponsored Links
"When a customer asks for an additional socket to be fitted, spurred from an existing socket and that socket turns out to be a spur itself. Do you then insist on tearing the house up in order to create a complete ring circuit?"

No - use a fused connection unit to protect the spur radial. These rules are there to stop cables bursting into flames and are based on the laws of physics - don't ignore them!

"Tricky aint it. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Then again, I've never seen a poverty stricken sparky!"

Better to be dammed by a customer or lose the job than be dammed in court after someone has lost their life cause you ignored the regs - no?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back