What cable to use for a spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to install an additional single socket as a spur on a ring circuit but I am not sure exactly what type of cable I should use.

The spur is a 13amp single socket and will be wired in to a 13amp double socket on the ring circuit. The distance of cable between the sockets will be approx 2.5m (max 3m). The socket will only be used for a hair-dryer and hair straighteners.

I have some 3 core flex cable (2.5mm2) will this be okay to use for the above purpose or do I need to use three core and earth cable and if so what mm2 should I be using?

Hope this is enough info and any advice/help is greatly appreciated,

Ed

Sponsored Links
Ed, 2.5 mm² Twin & Earth is what you need, assuming that the cable will not be surrounded by insulation. You will also need to sleeve the bare earth (CPC) conductors. If fitting to a flush-mounted metal back-box, use rubber grommets to protect the cable from the sharp edgeds of the knockouts. 3m should be your max length without an FCU protecting the new spur.

82572_P
18132_P
11833_P

Also ensure any buried cables are within safe zones://www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:walls

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help echoes! Glad I checked it out on here before going ahead. :D

Although there is nothing wrong with using the flex itself, the problem will be terminating the flex into the same terminals in the socket as the solid conductors of the T+E.

Solid and flexible conductors should not be connected in the same terminals due to tightening issues.

Why can't the flex be used?
Interesting point, I assume the question intended essentially rhetorically.

A few years ago, I saw a property which appeared to have been wired, fairly recently (at the time), largely (perhaps entirely) in flexible cable - and appeared to have been done fairly well. Unusual though that is, I'm not at all sure that it there is anything in the regs to outlaw such a practice - provided, of course, that appropriate CSAs and installation methods are used - is that the case?

Kind Regards, John.

Although there is nothing wrong with using the flex itself, the problem will be terminating the flex into the same terminals in the socket as the solid conductors of the T+E.
Solid and flexible conductors should not be connected in the same terminals due to tightening issues.
What if one crimped a ferrule onto the flex?

Kind Regards, John

Speaking of wiring in flex, it's been a while since the (allegedly) electrical con-man Russ Andrews was ridiculed, so here's the latest bargain for the gullible, the thick and the obscenely rich: http://www.russandrews.com/product....&customer_id=PAA0189078311128VFPDXZGKPOSJMVTB

reduced from £62.50 a metre!

...the air from the hair-dryer will be 'purer'. ;)

I had a reel of that...threw it in the skip...
What I really need is that stuff all the way back to the power station....imagine how good that would sound? Perhaps we could also get the generators re-wound with it too? and all the transformers ?
Do you think it would be OK clipped to the 400kv towers :eek:

Speaking of wiring in flex, it's been a while since the (allegedly) electrical con-man Russ Andrews was ridiculed, so here's the latest bargain for the gullible, the thick and the obscenely rich: http://www.russandrews.com/product....&customer_id=PAA0189078311128VFPDXZGKPOSJMVTB
reduced from £62.50 a metre! ...the air from the hair-dryer will be 'purer'. ;)
Good grief. I think you'd be pretty safe dropping the "(allegedly)".

Fortunately, you probably would not be qualified to use it, because you probably aren't a person "holding Part P of the 17th Edition IEE Wiring Regulations"!

...and it doesn't stop at the reduced price of £56.25 per metre (does that include VAT?!), because ....
The cable is supplied in single insulated form. For installation purposes the cable must be double insulated, which can be provided at additional cost.
I note with interest that he also reccomends that this "Ring Main cable" be installed in conjunction with a 16A circuit breaker.

Kind Regards, John.

Always get good mileage from old Russie-boy's wares! Have you seen the fuses and the speaker wire yet John?
No, this is obviously a missing part of my education; I'll have a look.

I've found the "RingMain Sheathing" to be used with the "Ring Main Cable" ('to provide double insulation'), at £3.69/m - looks like flexible PVC conduit to me!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back