What cable to use for a spur

Always get good mileage from old Russie-boy's wares! Have you seen the fuses and the speaker wire yet John?
No, this is obviously a missing part of my education; I'll have a look.

I've found the "RingMain Sheathing" to be used with the "Ring Main Cable" ('to provide double insulation'), at £3.69/m - looks like flexible PVC conduit to me!

Kind Regards, John

Heretic! :evil: It comes with 5 magic beans.

Sponsored Links
I see no need to use flex if it doesn’t need to be flexible and a disadvantage of using them is that when you tighten down on muti-wire you are likely to break one or more of the small fragile wires thereby possibly reducing the CSA at that point creating a hot spot, depending on current demand of course.

A skilled electrician or engineer will twist the wires and get the lot in the connector, but if I had a pound for every time I’ve seen them poking out like an Italian woman’s unwaxed bikini line on the beach I’d be a rich man.

Well that’s what I think for what it’s worth...

I see no need to use flex if it doesn’t need to be flexible and a disadvantage of using them is that when you tighten down on muti-wire you are likely to break one or more of the small fragile wires thereby possibly reducing the CSA at that point creating a hot spot, depending on current demand of course.
There certainly isn't a need. As for the disadvantage you mention, that's obviously one of the risks, but I doubt that it's often going to be a significant issue. IIRC, 2.5mm² flex is 50/0.25, so one could lose several of the 50 strands without creating an appreciable risk of a 'hot spot', unless the cable/loading was incredibly marginal in the first place. There is also no real risk of breaking the entire conductor, which can happen if a screwed terminal is overtightened with a solid conductor. On the other side of the equation, I seem to recall having been taught or told that the long-term performance of screwed terminals was better with flexible than with solid conductors - which I think I can rationalise as being credible.

However, why anyone would want to use flexible cable for fixed wiring is a different matter; it's probably appreciably more expensive, and requires more support, two name but two further downsides. However,I think it probably actually could be compliant.

Kind Regards, John.

I'm going to launch a range of hi-fi accessories etc which will all have been washed in a special sterile fluid to remove harsh manufacturing contaminants.

The fluid I will manufacture myself using an organic process starting with pure spring water and the finest vintage wines, as these will all pre-date modern day pollution.

I shall market these items under the name GoldenSound.

Early testing revels that the fluid has gender properties, and correct matching of these to plugs and sockets produces more harmonious results, so interviews for a female assistant will begin soon.

Sponsored Links
Fair points John.

I'd still be interested in the science or proof/statistics of long term use between the two. I'm inclined to agree that in the long term T&E may have one distinct disadvantage.

When I test connections of T&E cables which have been left 'untouched' for many years they are inevitably lose when I come to check them.

This makes me wonder if they were never tightened up enough from installation or they just work lose...

And that's not a problem with plugs, FCUs and flex outlet plates because....?

Fair points John.
I'd still be interested in the science or proof/statistics of long term use between the two. I'm inclined to agree that in the long term T&E may have one distinct disadvantage. When I test connections of T&E cables which have been left 'untouched' for many years they are inevitably lose when I come to check them. This makes me wonder if they were never tightened up enough from installation or they just work lose...
Indeed. I think that is, indeed, the main downside of screwed terminals with solid conductors. In some cases, it is undoubtedly due to inadequate tightening in the first place but I suspect that it's most commonly due to 'creep' in the copper conductor over time. Much of that creep happens very early on, hence the fact that if one returns to a terminal an hour or two (or even just a few minutes) after initial tightening, it is often possible to do a bit more tightening.

As I said, I'm only dealing with vague recollections of what I was taught or told a long time ago, but I can certainly imagine some mechanisms whereby such creep might be less of a problem with stranded conductors.

In terms of the big picture, of course, solid conductors are 'only' used for fixed wiring with cables up to 2.5mm², and I suspect that arose (essentially when metric T&E came on the scene) more because of simplicity/cost than because it offered appreciable advantages over the stranded conductors which had up until then been totally standard for everything. I remember my father referring to solid conductor cables as 'new fangled, cheapskate and inferior' when they first appeared!

Kind Regards, John.

I'm going to launch a range of hi-fi accessories etc which will all have been washed in a special sterile fluid to remove harsh manufacturing contaminants.

The fluid I will manufacture myself using an organic process starting with pure spring water and the finest vintage wines, as these will all pre-date modern day pollution.

I shall market these items under the name GoldenSound.

Early testing revels that the fluid has gender properties, and correct matching of these to plugs and sockets produces more harmonious results, so interviews for a female assistant will begin soon.

Now we know why you posted pictures/vids of those ladies! :idea:
It's all legitimate research for your latest scientific breakthrough. And to think there were those that doubted.
I think there would also be an opportunity to provide an after-market direct home-visit service where your creation can be applied directly to existing cables and equipment. Clearly the power would need to be switched off, and only re-energised when the Golden powers have reached full effect, which would probably be after about 120 miles.. oops... minutes.

I would happily volunteer to be part of such a noble franchise.

Now we know why you posted pictures/vids of those ladies! :idea:
They were from their CVs.

I would happily volunteer to be part of such a noble franchise.
There will have to be an annual shutdown during the asparagus season.

But imagine the fame and honour - the first special hi-fi accessory business that doesn't take the p**s.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back