Ariston Eurocombi seems overactive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there ..I hope someone can give me a little info on my combi ..
I installed the boiler and heating system myself some 3 years back ...and hat it checked and commisioned by a registered plumber .
It has given me trouble free service for 3 years ...but recently seems as though the heating system has become overactive ...or perhaps I should say oversensitive to temperature variation ...
The main burners are firing up roughly every 3 mins or so ...for about 30 seconds then shutting down again...thus giving the impression that the boiler is working too hard to maintain a constant temperature...
The temp on the boiler as indicated by the orange light is set around 70..
and each radiator is fitted with a themostatically controlled valve..
One other thing that might be of note ...is the ammount of water vapour emmited as a white mist from the flue ....
This too seems an excessive amount of visible vapour when say ..compared with the emissions from my neighbours boiler ..
Am I being paranoid or could I possibly have a potential problem on my hands ??
Any suggestions welcomed
rgds
Keith

Sponsored Links
You are risking trouble admitting that you might have drilled the mounting holes without being corgi regd. Hope you don't get too much flak for that it's boring...

Could it be that all your trv's are shut and the boiler is just doing its nut keeping itself hot ? Most have a built-in bypass so not to worry except for the waste of energy. If you have a room stat it wouldn't do this.

Which (of the 17 different) Eurocombis is it?

Thanks for replying Chris...
I suspect I should be ok regarding the mounting of the boiler ..as I did have some help with the actual drilling and hanging of the boiler from a m8 who at the time was a regd plumber..
Sadly he isn't around to ask about my current problem as he's moved on to pastures new.
When I say installed the boiler I mean plumbed it up.
Anyway ..the model is an A23 and all the TRVs are open as all rads are getting nice and toasty..
As you say though ...no room stat .
Its not that theres a problem getting up to temp ...but its just so darn busy once it gets there..
As if it feels the need to kick in at the slightest drop or variation.
best rgds
Keith

Sponsored Links
Hi again ...
I hope no one minds me persuing this problem ...but in light of the snow and the general drop in temperature ...my Ariston has been flogging itself to death over the weekend..
Im still convinced I have a problem in the making ... and over the last couple of days I have heard a distinct occasional 'clunk' which seemed to echo through the rads in the house...though Its so infequent I haven't been in the immediate vicinty of the boiler when it occurred.
Having removed the front cover I listened for anything unusual ...and did notice the pump was a bit 'whiney' when kicks in ..
Could any of you experts tell me if the pump was running inefficiently ...could this account for the 'clunk' and possibly the over enthusiastic boiler activity..?
Im thinking perhaps the hw not being moved fast enough ...might account for the boiler overheating ...and the constant switching on and off..
Any thoughts ?
If this is the case can anyone recommend a supplier where I could buy a replacement ...perhaps on-line.
Its gonna have to wait till the snow shifts though ...
Damned cold atm..
:LOL:
best rgds
Keith

Tongue was in cheek when I said you shouldn't drill holes... COrgi sometimes say quietly you can do things which don't affect the boiler's safety... some say that includes everything..

ANyway, the boiler will keep itself hot, using its own thermostat. Wot I don't know without lots of searching for the manual (which you should have) is whether it has an anti-cycling timer or not, which would hold the boiler off to slow things down. There might be a switch on the pcb to turn it on and off. The next thing I don't know is whether the boilermodulate its flame when in CH, (ie turns the wick down) I think your model is one which does it just as high and low. On HW you'll hear it clicking as the flames go up and down. Maybe yours doesn't turn down properly. You'll need a corgi to investigate that though.
If the manual doesn't say, you could always ask Ariston .

Many thanks for taking the time to reply Chris ..
I'll dig out the manual and check out your suggestions re anticycling.
btw ..
Not related to my immediate problem but figured it can't hurt to ask ..
How does DIY stand regarding cleaning out the the boiler with a hoover and brush ..
Is it a no-no ...that requires a Corgi RP ...or is it something I can do myself ...
Common sense applies of course regarding disturbing anything gas related.
rgds
Keith

Hi Bahco ...
I should have clarifed my origional statemet re - the rads
The bathroom rad/towelrail has no trv fitted and is permanently open so acts as a permanent return ..
I'm assuming that would be adequate ?
rgds
Keith

KeithP said:
The bathroom rad/towelrail has no trv fitted and is permanently open so acts as a permanent return ..
I'm assuming that would be adequate ?

That would be fine.

I think with the lack of roomstat your boiler would not know when to switch off and your gas bills will be astronomical.

Worth having one fitted and maybe your system serviced which may throw up any problems. :D

How does DIY stand regarding cleaning out the the boiler with a hoover and brush ..

Well corgi say don't go there. First you have to get the combustion chamber cover off, which in your case is GLUED on!! So when you put it back on you have to test for leaks - which perhaps a non-corgi wouldn't guess, or know how to do or have the kit. That's the sort of reason they say no.

Fair enough Chris ...I guess thats one for the experts then ...
Pity ...I was hoping I could have saved a few bob :rolleyes:
Thanks for the reply m8.
rgds
Keith

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back