Ariston Primo 210 Litre Unvented Indirect Cylinder

gas4you said:
Yes you've got it. Un-vented manufacturers assume that we have all got up to date incoming mains pipe sizes, that is why a good survey is important before fitting/advising the fitting of an un-vented cylinder ;)

so if im going to renew it, it all has to be in 22mm, if not then I may as well leave it in 15mm right?

How much would it cost to get it renewed from the street roughly?

Sponsored Links
Depends on
1) your water provider who make the connection from the main to your boundary, which depends which side of the road the main is. Can be as low as a couple of hundred £, usually more.
2) the charge from the groundworkers who get the pipe from the boundary to the house. Depends on distance, ground cover and method they use.
3) how hard it is to get the pipe into your system

If you have one of those patterned concrete fronts it would be a nightmare to make good after a trench, so a "Mole" might be a better approach, these need a hole about a metre long to drop the machine into. There are risks of hitting things of course - some companies won't use them.

SO if you have other people do all the work, probably over £1000.
If you dig the trench and install the pipe from the boundary, much less.

On another note. I was advised that this model had problems with leaks around the immersion heater boss. Naturally upon installation I checked it for tightness and all was well until 18 months later I noticed crusting around the cylinder boss where it had evidence of slight leaks. Since then gone back to Santon with no problems.

With regards to the pressure, what are the rules regarding the stop cock in the road? Is there anything stopping me from going out there and opening it up to give me slighly more pressure? Apparently last summer the water board went round at 2am and closed them all down slightly.

Lets say for instance, I had to go in the road to close it down to change the valve in the property, but when I re-opened it in the road, I opened it slighlty more than what it was before (accidentally of course :D )

Sponsored Links
Not heard of water board closing stop cocks down a bit! I can't imagine this is true. They wouldn't want to spend all this overtime or shift rate at 2 in morning :rolleyes:

gas4you said:
Not heard of water board closing stop cocks down a bit! I can't imagine this is true. They wouldn't want to spend all this overtime or shift rate at 2 in morning :rolleyes:

so you saying its ok to go out there, and open the valve right up?

yes. open it fully then turn back 1/4 turn to make sure it will not jam open.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back