Attic Conversion (Rules and Regulations)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Firstly, let me thank anyone who is able to help.

Secondly, I have been lucky enough to buy a property however it does require an amount of work upon it and I am going top to bottom on it now I have the living room and bedroom in a state I can live in I want to look at getting the attic converted.

I have spent a bit of time reading up on different sites and here are my questions.

1) I am planning to use the space as a home office, all the building regulations state that I must have stairs IF it is being used as a bedroom or bathroom. Since this isn't the case, do I need stairs or can I use a loft ladder?

2) What would the rough cost be for such a project if I was to hire in a builder? I have had wildly different estimates so far ranging from £15k to £35k. It requires two windows put in, floor, a light and 4 double wall sockets.

Sponsored Links
'DeludedAussie' over to you....(he's our resident expert on all pricing issues)

My only comment would be, if you don't put in proper stairs at this point you may regret it in the future - either you'll get bored of the ladder or when you sell, it will not add any value because people will say its not that useable via a ladder.

The reason you have wildly different estimates is that you don't have any proper plans.

'DeludedAussie' over to you....(he's our resident expert on all pricing issues)

My only comment would be, if you don't put in proper stairs at this point you may regret it in the future - either you'll get bored of the ladder or when you sell, it will not add any value because people will say its not that useable via a ladder.

Until I am well in my 80's (a long way away) I have no need to sell the property, it is a 4 bed, 2 bath and it is just me and my partner. Even if we look at having children in the near future we won't need a 5th bedroom and to an extent when we do I will be glad to not have the children having access to the office with what I do.

The reason you have wildly different estimates is that you don't have any proper plans.

I don't have any plans drawn up by an architect, I'd agree but I know where I want everything to go.

However if I can't have it without stairs I am trading one room for another, so the issue is if I have to have stairs or not for an office in an attic.

Sponsored Links
My understanding is that if it is not a bedroom or a bathroom then it is still classed as an "attic/loft" regardless of what you do up there, so the regulations dont apply

(I may well be wrong, it happend quite often)

I would make an appointment with your local Building Control office (usually local council building) and just have an informal chat about what you plan. They will let you know the dos and donts.

If you are going to spend £20k+ on it, you may as well go the extra mile and get stairs put in and it done to the regs, as when you are in your 80s it will add to the value of the house!

Hello,

Secondly, I have been lucky enough to buy a property however it does require an amount of work upon it and I am going top to bottom on it now I have the living room and bedroom in a state I can live in I want to look at getting the attic converted.

I have spent a bit of time reading up on different sites and here are my questions.

1) I am planning to use the space as a home office, all the building regulations state that I must have stairs IF it is being used as a bedroom or bathroom. Since this isn't the case, do I need stairs or can I use a loft ladder?

2) What would the rough cost be for such a project if I was to hire in a builder? I have had wildly different estimates so far ranging from £15k to £35k. It requires two windows put in, floor, a light and 4 double wall sockets.

In theory it will need fixed stairs and compliance with all regs if it is to be a "habitable room". It makes no difference in that respect whether you are using it as a bedroom or an office.

Bedrooms are only relevant in that, without a Building Control completion certificate, you would not be able to count it as a bedroom if you came to sell the house (on account of it not being a habitable room).

Cheers
Richard

Hello,

You can buy second hand ply wood and joists. You should be able to do it for about twelve hundred quid.

It wont be conforming to regs but it will be safe and usable.

No radiators, only electric plugs and one second hand velux window

Hello,

[/quote]

This is what infuriates me - 35K for a bit of steel in a loft and a couple of windows and a few plugs is a joke.

The electrics can be run via an extension cable from first floor and the windows and sixty a piece

Even if you put in a dormer I still think 35K is substancial

Does anyone know out of that 35K how much is material, how much is labour and how much is profit

And labour should be max 100 a day

[quote="DeludedAussie";p="2776506]

This is what infuriates me - 35K for a bit of steel in a loft and a couple of windows and a few plugs is a joke.

The electrics can be run via an extension cable from first floor and the windows and sixty a piece

Even if you put in a dormer I still think 35K is substancial

Does anyone know out of that 35K how much is material, how much is labour and how much is profit

And labour should be max 100 a day[/quote]

You'd also need an oxygen supply, and some means of radiation protection, due to thinness of the Martian atmosphere. Sorry, what planet did you say you were on?

Cheers
Richard

Well its not just a bit of steel and a couple of windows.

£35k probably includes:
Structural engineer assessment and recommendations
Drawings/calculations
Building Control plans/inspections for structural work, as well as window fitting (FENSA) and electrics (certified) as well as Fire Regs and Part L.

That in itself is a fair bit of cash just there.

As to labour/materials, materials are probably not that much, low £000s probably.

As to fitting just a window, see the below breakdown:

Fitting a mid size roof window, in a traditional (non trussed) slate / tiled roof with easy access in the loft and no other internal work.

This will take 2 men, 1 day plus timber, window + flashings £350, and inspectors fee £175………..£925.00

£35k probably includes:
Drawings/calculations
Building Control plans/inspections for structural work, as well as window fitting (FENSA) and electrics (certified) as well as Fire Regs and Part L.

As to labour/materials, materials are probably not that much, low £000s probably.

Fitting a mid size roof window, in a traditional (non trussed) slate / tiled roof with easy access in the loft and no other internal work.

This will take 2 men, 1 day plus timber, window + flashings £350, and inspectors fee £175………..£925.00

I had one done for 15k a few years ago when I was less DIY-minded. That was without much in the way of frills and trimmings, but did include a dormer, full regs and proper wiring from a new consumer unit. And it was a relatively small terraced house.

Cheers
Richard

Without knowing the size and scale / scope of works its no ones place to say if 35k is too much, or 15k not enough!

There are many factors which are considered when a builder costs work - and these are not just limited to the size of the property itself, but things such as the location of the property, the distance and ease of access to the site and materials etc. and many other preliminaries that most people never consider (such as the costs associated with parking permits and insurances / warranties etc.)

£35k probably includes:
Drawings/calculations

two mean for one day should be £150 -

£100 for the skilled guy and 50 for his helper

The window is available on ebay for £60 - So thats £210 so far

Leave the inspectors fee because thats part of the loft conversion fee

That website you used for that estimate is not accurate

Flashings? Tiles? Timber? and you cant miss out the inspection fee from your estimate, as it is not a fair comparison. I doubt you would find someone who would do that for £150+ materials.
Skilled person- 1days work, but higher per day cost
Not quite as skilled person- 3 days work, but lower per day cost...

two mean for one day should be £150 -

£100 for the skilled guy and 50 for his helper

The window is available on ebay for £60 - So thats £210 so far

Leave the inspectors fee because thats part of the loft conversion fee

That website you used for that estimate is not accurate

ITYM "too mean", not "two mean". Round our way £150 is about enough to get one man to turn up, sit in his van and read the Daily Mirror.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back