Attic Conversion (Rules and Regulations)

two men for one day should be £150 -

£100 for the skilled guy and 50 for his helper

The window is available on ebay for £60 - So thats £210 so far

Leave the inspectors fee because thats part of the loft conversion fee

That website you used for that estimate is not accurate

Two men for one day will be dependant upon the two men. Seeing as good skilled people are unlikely to come at minimum wage a builder will want to ensure that he has trustworth professionals that can are FENSA approved.

Additionally, you will of course want to ensure that the people you use have the appropriate insurances - which of course adds to the persons inherent value.

Finally, if you buy a second hand window you will still need to be able to demonstrate to the building control officer that it meets the necessary U'Value to meet current standards, which would require testing that you have not accounted for (but would certainly be more expensive that simply buying a new window). Oh, and of course we haven't come across the issue that a FENSA approved fitter won't install a window that he does not know meets the regulations... let alone that he hasn't supplied himself (which he does so becuase he knows it conforms).

Basically. no.

You may have all the best intention for telling people how much they should be paid, or saving money by buying cheaper products but its actually false economising and you'll just end up spending more in the end.

Sponsored Links
two mean for one day should be £150 -

£100 for the skilled guy and 50 for his helper

The window is available on ebay for £60 - So thats £210 so far

Leave the inspectors fee because thats part of the loft conversion fee

That website you used for that estimate is not accurate

ITYM "too mean", not "two mean". Round our way £150 is about enough to get one man to turn up, sit in his van and read the Daily Mirror.

Cheers
Richard

I meant two men

I am in london and people are happy to work for 60 a day

[quote="DeludedAussie";p="2776562]

I meant two men

I am in london and people are happy to work for 60 a day[/quote]

I admit that my experience is based solely on employing tradesmen in Yorkshire, which is clearly a more affluent part of the country. :rolleyes:

Cheers
Richard

[quote="DeludedAussie";p="2776562]

I meant two men

I am in london and people are happy to work for 60 a day

I admit that my experience is based solely on employing tradesmen in Yorkshire, which is clearly a more affluent part of the country. :rolleyes:

Cheers
Richard[/quote]

are you having a wind up ?

150 quid and they sit in the van reading a paper?

Come now - Be serious. One thing to remember is in london a lot of people want cash in hand / no visa so they accept less

There are hundreds of romanians here

Sponsored Links
Sorry, yes, clearly you're right. Two Romanians, some de-nailed ungraded timber, windows from Freecycle, my old coat for insulation and a 50 metre extension lead, and you're away. Never mind a solid floor or a staircase, or fire protection.

You can employ people to do it for you (done that), or you can save a lot by doing it yourself (done that also), but with or without Building Regs you need to use proper materials, unless you want it to leak, burn down, fall over and sink into the swamp.

Cheers
Richard

wow.

okay, so you can pay an illegal immigrant to do the work, but when they decide to p*** off after getting bored and leaving you with half a job then you wont be able to get any reputable builder to touch it... or they'll charge you much more to pull it down and just start over!

or, maybe they do stick around and by some miracle finish the thing, but what if it leaks... they have no obligation to come back and sort it out for you.

It would be an even bigger miracle that you can get the work signed off. BCOs will be checking the competency of your builders and if any questions are raised about their ability they will investigate - meaning you'll be stuck with the first problem above!

We've gone through this before to be honest... anyone can call themselves a builder... not everyone can build.

Try to cut your costs too much and you'll simply end up paying more. Its a simple fact that I've been witness to on more occassions that I'd like. I must say, I really enjoy the "I told you so moment" though.

wow.

okay, so you can pay an illegal immigrant to do the work, but when they decide to p*** off after getting bored and leaving you with half a job then you wont be able to get any reputable builder to touch it... or they'll charge you much more to pull it down and just start over!

or, maybe they do stick around and by some miracle finish the thing, but what if it leaks... they have no obligation to come back and sort it out for you.

It would be an even bigger miracle that you can get the work signed off. BCOs will be checking the competency of your builders and if any questions are raised about their ability they will investigate - meaning you'll be stuck with the first problem above!

We've gone through this before to be honest... anyone can call themselves a builder... not everyone can build.

Try to cut your costs too much and you'll simply end up paying more. Its a simple fact that I've been witness to on more occassions that I'd like. I must say, I really enjoy the "I told you so moment" though.

BCO wont check competency of the builder - It will be classified as a DIY job with a few friends helping

And you think getting a "builder" means peace of mind and guaranteeed results?

The stupid Australian's trolling posts are getting tedious now.

Does he actually post anything useful that I might miss if I blocked him?

It just seems that he gives no input, but posts nonsense questions of no value at all

And when given reasonable advice argues the toss about it all! Who's on for a group block?

i'd rather not, as his posts/attitude/not-having-a-clueness does amuse me sometimes.

Much like B-A-S in the electrical forum. Except B-A-S at least knows what he is talking about!!

:LOL:

And when given reasonable advice argues the toss about it all! Who's on for a group block?

i'd rather not, as his posts/attitude/not-having-a-clueness does amuse me sometimes.

Much like B-A-S in the electrical forum. Except B-A-S at least knows what he is talking about!!

:LOL:

I agree, though it's a shame that someone came here for advice, and we've spent two pages having this pointless conversation instead. I'm going to have another stab at answering the questions; please say if you disagree.

"1) I am planning to use the space as a home office, all the building regulations state that I must have stairs IF it is being used as a bedroom or bathroom. Since this isn't the case, do I need stairs or can I use a loft ladder?"

Building regulations must be complied with if the room is a "habitable room", it doesn't have to be used as a bedroom. Obviously you can use a loft ladder if you are not seeking building control approval, but then you won't add any value to your house when you come to sell it, and if it's badly done you could even devalue it, and the lack of paperwork could delay a sale.

"2) What would the rough cost be for such a project if I was to hire in a builder? I have had wildly different estimates so far ranging from £15k to £35k. It requires two windows put in, floor, a light and 4 double wall sockets."

I paid around £15k for a small loft conversion in 2006. This was one room on top of a 15 foot wide terraced house, including a staircase, dormer on the back, two Veluxes on the front, plumbing to a radiator, powerpoints and lighting, but not decorating. I think this was very much at the cheap end, and £20-£25k might be a better estimate now. It could cost a lot more for a bigger space, or in a more expensive part of the country.

Obviously cost is a factor, but are you able to see any previous conversions done by any of the builders, and speak to their past customers? We were fortunate enough to be able to observe our neighbour's conversion being done, and employed our builder on her recommendation.

There's a lot involved in doing a loft conversion to regs. More often than not new floor joists have to be installed, and steel might be required both for the floor and for the dormer. Your Building Control Officer may want to see calculations, in which case you would also need to pay a structural engineer.

I confess I'm not always a stickler for regs, but in this case I do think it's worth doing the job properly and getting a completion certificate. Not only will it be safer and better insulated, but it will add value to your house (we spent 15k and added £30 to the value of the house, which we sold soon after. though we had the advantage of selling in a fashionable part of York in 2007 ...).

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back