study in attic?? Loft Conversion.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put a study up in my attic as cheaply as possible. I will be using it occassionly and will just be using a ladder for access. I am competent on boarding it out, joinery and stud work etc but would be getting a builder/engineer in for regs reasons etc.

It is a small 50's mid-terrace and essentially i'm looking for rough estimates about required joist sizes, ridge heights etc so I can see if what is there will be any use or a full floor strengthening routine is needed.
Any advice on other limiting factors would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
First question, when you come to sell your house, will you want to sell it with a loft conversion or storage space? This is important as
a) it will affect whether you can get away with a stair or a ladder as you would like and b) what an estate agent will lawfully be able to sell the space as which would likely affect the value.

I would just be selling and declaring it as a floored storage area.

Second question: What's the sizes of current timbers and type of roof. Also what are distances between supporting walls. If you only have a 'small' loft then you might easily be able to fit a 'full regs' structural floor using just timber. This will make any future 'proper' conversion much easier.

Sponsored Links
unfortunately the current ceiling joists are just 4 1/2 by 1 1/2 and the distance between walls is about 6m.

cheers

the 6m is actually upon measuring 5m and is the distance between the party walls (actually i'm an end terrace so gable and party) cheers

Hmm, thats a fair old span for timber joists. Using the old building regs tables they'd end up being something like 75x250@400 centres. Would you even be able to get a 5m long joist into the loft?

I bet there's a central wall.

10p says it was built on the Universal Plan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back