Attic trusses / dormer windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a 7 year old chalet bungalow with upstairs accom purpose built with attic trusses. Have velux windows to one flank, but i want to put dormer windows on opposite flank to give more headroom to the room.

Im looking at 2 dormers about 6'-8' long each.

Planning have said my property was built with restrictions governing dormers and if i wish to go ahead, they would need to see some plans so that they could help by giving their appraisal on if its worth applying or not.

Rang an architect, who didn't want to know, saying cutting dormers from attic trusses is too complicated. Is this the case, if so ill forget the idea. Or is he being lazy.

Regards.

Sponsored Links
Rang an architect, who didn't want to know, saying cutting dormers from attic trusses is too complicated. Is this the case, if so ill forget the idea. Or is he being lazy.
It is more hassle and expensive than if it were a traditional roof but not beyond the realms of a half decent engineer. Don't waste your time and money with a fully fledged Architect, find your self a one man band Architectural Technician, you'll find them in Yell under 'architectural technologists' or 'architectural services'. Ring a few and get three to pop out to give you a free hour of their time and put a quote together for you.

Got a 7 year old chalet bungalow with upstairs accom purpose built with attic trusses. Have velux windows to one flank, but i want to put dormer windows on opposite flank to give more headroom to the room.

Im looking at 2 dormers about 6'-8' long each.

Planning have said my property was built with restrictions governing dormers and if i wish to go ahead, they would need to see some plans so that they could help by giving their appraisal on if its worth applying or not.

Regards.

anything is possible this can be done but from my experience you will definately have to go backwards with building before moving forward ie stripping the floor and all the roof the architect is probably not experienced enough to do the plans not lazy hope that helps any other help you need message me

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back