Back boiler air vent problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My property has a back boiler fitted in the fireplace and there is a air vent in the lounge 5 feet away.

The air vent is quite draughty and a constant source of cold air through out the year. I was told that the air vent is required for the boiler.

I was wondering if I can put a pipe from the vent to the fireplace so that the boiler gets the required air and the lounge doesn't suffer from the cold draught.

Are there any problems with this idea?

Sponsored Links
The problem is that if you do it incorrectly then it will make the boiler dangerous.

Whilst the fitting can be done by anyone the design should be by an approved gas engineer on site who can test the boiler.

With a suspended floor its sometimes possible to use floor vents.

Tony

The problem is that if you do it incorrectly then it will make the boiler dangerous.

Whilst the fitting can be done by anyone the design should be by an approved gas engineer on site who can test the boiler.
Tony

Thanks
What should be the minimum diameter of the pipe that feeds fresh outside air to the back boiler?

Is using 10cm diameter pipe safe?

Tony

Thanks
What should be the minimum diameter of the pipe that feeds fresh outside air to the back boiler?

Is using 10mm diameter pipe safe?

I hope you ment 10cm not 10mm, please take the advice given and use a gas safe registered engineer to carry out any work.
Any restriction to air vents when dealing with an open flued apppliance like you have, can honestly be fatal.

Sponsored Links
Yes I meant 10cm diameter.. thanks

Can a gas safe registered engineer please advise weather using 10cm diameter pipe to feed fresh outside air to the back boiler is safe?

Yes I meant 10cm diameter.. thanks

Can a gas safe registered engineer please advise weather using 10cm diameter pipe to feed fresh outside air to the back boiler is safe?

advice concerning gas safety matters will not be given on this Forum

you WILL have to get a gas safe registered engineer in to advise

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back