ROOM AIR VENT (REQUIREMENTS)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
a good few years ago the engineer that fitted my back boiler put in a air vent that is positoned to the back and one side of my chimney breast on the floor it just has 6 large holes drilled in the floorboards and a plastic air vent over the top. i want to change my carpet and was wondering if this arrangement is ok or if some other safety vent is required
thanks

Sponsored Links
although venting through suspended floor is technically suitable, providing there are enough, and big enough holes, we always advise to have a wall vent fitted as this is checkable for blockages/size/route etc. Even if the grilles were ok we would class the installation as not to current standards.

What make and output of boilet would help and the six holes is more than likely insufficient. The hole should be full open with a suitable grill fitted over the top. If it is a baxi 552 BBU and front usually 19" sQuare free air space is sufficient, can't remember what that is in toy money but a lot of mm square.

Floor vents are not recommended anymore because of the possibility of Radon gas entering the property. also as said 6 holes will prob not be sufficient

Sponsored Links
Radon's only a problem in the far SW I think.
You'll probably need one of these:
7671.gif

It's about 10" by 4"

But mainly floor vents are not a good idea because it is virually impossible to check the ventilation air path.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back