Back Boiler - Please Explain/Advise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, we have just moved into a house that is heated via a back boiler system. the previous owners spent £800 overhauling the system and it works fine. However, this is my first encounter with a back boiler and I have questions!!

1. How efficient are they and would it be beneficial for us to consider upgrading to a combi?
2. The hot water tank looks very old and is square, however, it is not insulated, is it possible to buy square insulation jackets?
3. The fire works perfectly, however, it is dated looking and I really don't like it, what are my options for replacing this?

Sorry for all the questions!!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Wow lota questions. Square hot water tank.the only square hot water tank iv seen was a mains fed Vailliant Vantage but normal to be linked to an old back boiler. Your old boiler could b workin any where around 70-85% effec if ur lucky.If a jackets big enough for a cylinder I'm sure any attemp to insulate its gona help. If you dont like the fire even if its upgradable there naff & thats thowing good money after bad,It may be ugly & not that efficient but its probably more reliable than what u change it to but thats the way it is now.

Bab - so may not be as efficient as a combi system but they are more reliable? I can believe this having had horrendous problems with the 2 yr old combi system in our prevous house!

Gaz - how do I check the make of the boiler? The make of the fire is Baxi Bermuda SP, there are no other markings and no markings on the tank either...

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You'll probably find the tank is a Rolyat, it is a 3 in 1 tank, MST, F&E & DHW. It will be expensive to replace as they no longer make them & you would have to replace it as 3 separate components & alter the pipe work to suit.

As for the model of boiler, if it's a newer type BBU then the data badge is on top of the box that houses the PCB & thermostat, if it's the older type you would have to take the fire off & it is on the front of the boiler. The model number will be something like 552 or 45/5.

Your system is old and I would suggest only about 65% efficient compared with a condensing boiler which would be about 90% efficient.

Many of these systems did not fit adequate rads in the living room as they assumed the ugly fire would be used.

A combi system would probably cost about £2000 to £3000 to include removing the old tanks etc. This is unlikely to be justified on purely financial grounds!

Being much more complicated, a modern condensing boiler will be less reliable that an old back boiler installation. I do have serious safety concerns about back boilers though as they depend on proper ventilation to remain safe whereas a room sealed combi is inherently safe. Proper annual servicing is very important.

Tony Glazier

Thanks guys, i reckon its probably not worth replacing just yet and I can live with the fire. Fortunately they did install a rad in the lounge so i rarely have the fire on anyway, so far i am happy with it and guess i will just have to wait for the bills to drop thru the door before judging whether or not it is worth replacing.

I am with BG for insurance/servicing and am expecting them out soon to do the initial service, i guess they will be able to tell me the make/model etc.

One more question!!! There is an electric shower in the bathroom, is there any reason why this cannot be replaced with a mixer type shower fed from the hot water? the tank is in one of the bedrooms.

Cheers

Soupdragon43 said:
Thanks guys, i reckon its probably not worth replacing just yet and I can live with the fire. Fortunately they did install a rad in the lounge so i rarely have the fire on anyway, so far i am happy with it and guess i will just have to wait for the bills to drop thru the door before judging whether or not it is worth replacing.

I am with BG for insurance/servicing and am expecting them out soon to do the initial service, i guess they will be able to tell me the make/model etc.

One more question!!! There is an electric shower in the bathroom, is there any reason why this cannot be replaced with a mixer type shower fed from the hot water? the tank is in one of the bedrooms.

Cheers
Im dont know your type of cylinder all be it square but if theres no tanks in the attic the only type of mixer shower u can have would require a booster pump with a negative pressure fitting & an air switch in the shower. U would also need extra cold water storage for the pump.

it may be conveiniance

you can have a shower any time you like with electric.

with your set up you have to wait for the water in the airing cupboard cylinder to get hot, also there may not be enough pressure to operate a shower with what you have.

keep the electric shower

Being honest I'm not really up on the plumbing bylaws etc, but I doubt if your DHW tank will have an immersion heater on it, if thats the case then stick with the electric shower as it's a good back up if the boiler goes on the blink.

Breezer - Ok now I'm confused! Yes I can understand the pressure and there is so far no evidence of a cold water tank in the loft, however, I can't understand the hot water thing, the tank in the cupboard is very small, yet I appear to have unlimited hot water all the time, however, I am probably unable to test this fully because we don't have a bath (yet!) But even if the programmer has been set to OFF all day I am still able to run a couple of bowls of hot water for washing up etc, am I just fortunate or is the water being heated up some other way!!!

keego said:
Being honest I'm not really up on the plumbing bylaws etc, but I doubt if your DHW tank will have an immersion heater on it, if thats the case then stick with the electric shower as it's a good back up if the boiler goes on the blink.

Hey don't i know about it, like i said i had horrendous problems with the combi system at our previous house - the kettle comes in handy too!!!!

may be it (cylinder) is well insulated, maybe you have an immersion heater too.

but if you are lucky you may get 2 "bathfulls" of hot water from 1 cylinder, so thats a lot of washing up you can do.

I should also point out i am not a plumber or heating engineer, but i have a combi, and my mum has a back boiler (and cylinder)

Breezer - read my initial post - it ain't a cylinder and has no insulation it is a small square tank - hence my confusion!!! Also the house did used to have a bath in it so I assume that whatever is installed is adequate to supply a full bathful of water - well if I ever get the bath installed I'll let you know, plumbers are like gold dust round here!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back