Back Boiler - Please Explain/Advise

Soupdragon43 said:
Breezer - read my initial post - it ain't a cylinder and has no insulation it is a small square tank - hence my confusion!!! Also the house did used to have a bath in it so I assume that whatever is installed is adequate to supply a full bathful of water - well if I ever get the bath installed I'll let you know, plumbers are like gold dust round here!!
Plumbers r like gold dust everwhere at the moment.

Sponsored Links
A bit of nonsence with that last comment!

Last Saturday ( NYE )someone in an expensive flat ( £500K plus ) in Maida Vale thought our £84 fee to fix his boiler was too high.

All today we had only ONE call about a boiler problem! Apart from someone I got to sort it out himself over the phone.

In spite of our massive advertising budget there is little work about!

Just before Christmas I met a plumber who had been made redundant after FIVE years because there was not ENOUGH work for his well established firm. You can guess why!

Tony

Agile - get yourself up North then!! There is a serious shortage, in the past three weeks I've rang around 8 plumbers, and all I want is a quote for installing a bath, its got to be an easy job because there was a bath there previously and previous owners removed into and installed a shower tray. None of the plumbers have stuck to their appointments or rang back when they said they would. AAAARRRGGGHH!!

All I can say is they've all moved to Scarborough then. Iam totally with Tony on this and I'm OOP North.

A few suggestions.

Make sure you have permanent ventilation in the room where the boiler/fire are, if you haven't make some.

Find out combined heat input of appliances in kw, devide by 1.1 deduct 7, multiply by 5. That is how many centimeters squared.

Vent shouyld have wraning on it saying do not cover remove, not have a fly screen not be closable, should admit a 5mm ball but not a 10mm ball.

If it's a big ball ache finding out heat input go with 100 cm squared for now.

Sponsored Links
Sorry guys to generalise on a problem we have around the area i work. Rural plumbers can be more spread about & have to cover a large area & spectrum of work.As 4 work load Never advertised 60-70 hrs aweek for 23 yrs. Cut back to 5 days a week cos noones gettin any younger.

Paul - thanks for the advise, it would appear that whomever overhauled the boiler also fitted a vent on the external lounge wall which does have the warning on it etc so I am happy that it is safe in that respect. I have no idea how to calcuate the inputs and this can wait for when the BG engineer comes to do the initial service.

Cheers

Agile said:
Just before Christmas I met a plumber who had been made redundant after FIVE years because there was not ENOUGH work for his well established firm. You can guess why!
Tony

Last October I started with BG as an installer, out of the 10 of us on the induction week, 6 had wrapped up their own firms to go back to being employed one guy had been self employed for 20 years!
& as for it being a North South thing they came from all over the country.

OK SOup Dragon just thought I'd mention it because people have a habit of decorating over them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back