"Back" Boiler - Radiator bleeding every 2 weeks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

In my victorian semi i have a gas fire with what i know as a 'back' boiler, i dont know what its technically called but we dont use the fire at all just the radiators.

In a couple of years we'll be doing a large kitchen extension and so will change the boiler at this time, however i have been having to bleed 1 upstairs radiator every couple of weeks as it keeps getting a cold spot.

If i keep getting this air in the system does that indicate a leak, even though there is no evidence of such? Also even though this system is clearly very old it works perfectly, apart from the air issue, and so should i work towards if it aint broke then dont fix it, at least until we do the extension work?

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
rads constantly in need of bleeding may be caused by a leak but there are other possibilities, too high a pump setting, poor installation, gassing, toname a few

thanks for the reply - whats gassing ?

Thinking about it the bleeding seems to have started since turning the thermostat up a bit for the winter - does that signify anything?

Best to wait untill the new extension. dont put down new floors untill you get the boiler fitted especialy lamminate

Sponsored Links
gassing is production of hydrogen gas as a result of corrosion. usually no inhibitor if system is old

thanks - think i will wait for the extension if i can!

Having this 'back' boiler is there any way to replace it and reuse existing feed pipes to the downstairs rads (4)? I ask this as about 2 years ago we had solid oak floors laid throughout downstairs hall, diner and lounge and i would be saddened to have to hack the floor!

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.....

even if boiler is relocated from diner to new kitchen? If so then thats a result!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back