Radiators needing bled every week

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved into a house which was derelict for a few months at least after the previous owner passed away, and the radiators apart from 3 have never worked correctly.

Constantly have to bleed them as only about a quarter of the radiator will heat up, about once a week. That's two upstairs. One downstairs, heats up fine but will make a loud air noise when turned up.

Would this be a fault with the radiators? A plumber in the past mentioned the system might need to be flushed out considering it was empty for a while.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Bleeding just the radiators, have never refilled them. Just until the water turns from dark to clear, and that sorts the radiator for a week approx.

It's an older central heating system we've got, 2003 I think it was installed.

Sponsored Links
Sucking in air by the sounds of it. Turn it off and bleed every rad before you turn it back on. If it persists you'll need it looking at. Pics could help (pump and valve/cylinder set up).

As a diyer, and if it were me that was getting your problem, I would, as it's Summer;
Drain down the system having first also cleaned out the expansion tank ( if your system has it )
Remove each rad to the garden and hose until the water runs clear
Refit rads and add the correct amount of anti corrosion during filling.
The above is a simple and could be an affective solution to your problem.
Or
You could pop along to say Screwfix and just buy and add some anti corrosion and add it to the header tank/ expansion. If your system does not have the tank, have a read on how to add anti corrosion via a rad.
Given your problem, I would drain and flush as above.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back