Bad gurgling from flue - Keston 28s

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've had a new Keston 28s fitted with megaflow in our basement. Pipes come up through kitchen and vent outside back door. When boiler is on there's very loud gurgling from the flue (there are 2 pipes outside). If I put heating on, there's the gurgle AND slooshing sound from the boxed in pipes in the kitchen. Installer has ensured pipes are at right angle to vent out, have had a good look at the boiler and nothing has helped. The installers are doing their best but I sense they just don't know the answer so if anyone has any ideas or has had this before, be great to hear the solution. It's so bad that we feel obliged to turn the boiler off whenever we can to save our neighbours the misery! Thanks

Sponsored Links
best to turn that off sharpish!!!! check your condense waste and check that its not blocked, but get the fitter back, today.

Likely cause is insufficient fall on the flue pipe work and the condensate water is stalling in the flue get the installers to put an additional trap on the flueing arrangement

As per Gaspro _ carp flue install - the flue shouild run back to the boiler
yours is clearly not to required standard and is allowing a blockage (of water) to occur as said turn off immediately and sse proffessional help! ;)

Sponsored Links
Likely cause is insufficient fall on the flue pipe work and the condensate water is stalling in the flue get the installers to put an additional trap on the flueing arrangement

Where would the 'additional trap' be placed?

Thank you for your advice all - very helpful. Re: the fall of the flue - IIRC, the last 5metres of the flue pipe is almost level - in fact, it may be on an incline but I'm not sure. Should this be on a fall? Apologies for my lack of basic knowledge.

erh! at the "low point" where the water is currently collecting!? :eek:

So the 'low point' being terminal? , cut the wall out and have the flue installed with the correct fall , I still don't see your point regards an additional trap. :confused: , so a 'band aid' being sufficient for a bad flue install?

The flue on a Keston is small bore ABS the flue design should allow a fall to the boiler throughout it's lenght, but where not possibe a trap should be fitted at each low point as with 40mm dia flue it doesn't take much water to cause a blockage!! ;)

So a keston flue installed with the correct fall should require an additional trap? come on burnerman you're more intellegent than that ;) , fitted many kestons with flueing arrangements at the max , never have I had to fit an additional trap , can we have an example? ;)

50mm BTW. ;) , ever seen an additional trap on a PMK?

He has not said that! ONLY when its not possible to have a continuous fall back to the boiler!

A spiritual level on the flue pipe should shop up the location of the problems!

Tony

He has not said that! ONLY when its not possible to have a continuous fall back to the boiler!

It is NOT possible to have any 'troughs' in exhaust flue , the only time an additional trap should be fitted is when the flue has been run horizontally with the correct fall (2.5 degrees) over 6 metres of vertical flue , in saying this if the horizontal section has the correct fall then no need for an additional trap.

A spiritual level on the flue pipe should shop up the location of the problems!

Yes a 'spirit level' used for the correct fall should elininate the need for additioanal traps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back