Balancing with TRVs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

how do you balance a heating system, with TRVs on the return side of the radiators.
thanks in anticipation :oops:

Sponsored Links
Close all your lockshield valves (valve opposite end to the TRV) on your rads

Then on the rad closest to the boiler, open the valve quarter turn

Then the 2nd closest rad to the boiler, open the valve half a turn

Then the 3rd closest rad to the boiler, open the valve 3 quarter turn

etc.......

You don't have to do it in quarter turns, if you have lots of rads then just open it slightly then the next rad slightly more, it all depends on how many rads you have.

But hopefully you get the general idea :)

Then sit back and relax as the glands on the LS start to leak. :LOL:

13 rads on system,

do I open lockshield valves or the TRVs

Ok g2a whats your solution? ;)

Sponsored Links
i'd be clipping thermometers to the flow and return to the rad i'm balancing and adjust the other lockshields down or up to achieve a 11c drop out of the two, spending many hours doing it.

The simple rule is set the all TRVs to max, run your heating and turn down a quarter the hottest rad or rads, and check after 15 mins or so, repeat as you go. Then put TRVs do desired setting. It can be a pain to do on older, problematic systems, have a go.

I've balanced loads of systems like I explained, and never had trouble with lockshields leaking.

As stated 13 rads on system,
brand new system with vaillant ecotech 831 boiler,

first plumber did first fix (all pipework from boiler postion to radaitor position, )did a runner,all floor boards laid,ceilings fitted,second plumber fitted boiler & rads, but finds after fitting rad valves 10 out of 13 rads have TRVs fitted to the retun side of the rads, all working except one rad which is the smallest rad in system,not the furthest away from boiler approx; middle of the system,
If valves were fitted to the correct side of rads then i understand that by resticting fow via the lockshield to gain a 12 deg; diff; would be an easy solution all be it time consuming.
By resticting the lockshied valve i,m restricting the flow into the rad, not out of the valve

I’ve always used guestimation previously but I’ve just regulated my totally refurbished system on TRV’s (it’s as good as new really) using 2 digital thermometers & was surprised how critical the lock shield setting was. Get yourself a couple of digital thermometers & do it properly as Gas2air describes.

By resticting the lockshied valve i,m restricting the flow into the rad, not out of the valve
As far as I know it makes no difference if the restriction is on the flow or return but I’m no expert!

As Richard said it makes no difference, if the restriction is on the flow then the hot water cannot pass the valve into the rad as quick, if the restriction is on the return, the cold water cannot get out the rad as quick for the hot water to enter the rad to replace it.

i'd be clipping thermometers to the flow and return to the rad i'm balancing and adjust the other lockshields down or up to achieve a 11c drop out of the two, spending many hours doing it.

Do you really think it should be 11°C with a Vaillant Ecotec?

Tony

what would you say the differential across the rads be Tony.

Tony

Tony.

Did the op state what boiler he had before i made my post? Or can i mind read? :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back