Banging in hot and cold water pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've raised this one below, under 'Low pressure in hot water tap', but thought it was best if I post it separately as it's a different problem.

I began with low pressure in my kitchen hot water tap, which I seem to have solved by turning on both taps, blocking the mixer tap openings in my kitchen sink and blasting an air bubble out of the system.

Except that now the pipes are banging when I use the hot and cold water taps together, then turn them off.

Has anyone come across this problem before? I assume it's linked to my first problem, or at least how I attempted to solve it.

I did have a similar problem some time ago - which arose after I'd been away for a few days and had switched off my cold water at the stopcock. The problem resolved itself when I went away for another couple of days, and switched off the water again.

Is the solution to treat myself to a nice long holiday? :)

Seriously, any help much appreciated.

James

Sponsored Links
In case it's of use to anyone, I switched off my cold water supply at the stopcock overnight. I then ran off excess water from all the cold taps in the house. Next morning, I switched the water back on, then opened the cold water tap in the bathroom sink. There was a whoosh of air before the water emerged.

Since then, I've had no banging in the pipes, and, touch wood, the hot water tap is still behaving. I hope this means both my problems are now solved.

Thanks again, to those who helped, for the initial advice about forcing the air from the hot water system, which was my original problem.

James

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back