Basic question about fitting single electric oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Apologies for my ignorance..
I am looking to replace a fresstanding electric oven in a house we have just moved to. Being a complete novice I'm not sure how easy this will be. The current oven has a thick white wire coming out of the rear which then dissappears behind the fitted kitchen units (not visible in the cupboards themselves). On the wall to the right is a red switch with 'cooker' above it and a standard socket .
Currys charge £39.99 for installation which I assume is high. Anyway one of the checks they ask you to do is
"Ensure there is an accessible double-pole control panel rated between 30 and 45 amps within 2m of the designated space "
Sadly I haven't a clue what this means? Can anyone advise me..
Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
It means a red switch with 'cooker' above it (with or without a socket) that they can connect to. Presumably, they wont chase out the wall or anything like that, for new cables, so you will have to do this.

Ideally though, There should be a fixed cable from the switch to a cable outlet point behind the cooker, where the cooker subsequently connects.

£39.99 isn't expensive. An electrician will probably charge more (but they will do the job properly and neatly and install a cooker outlet plate)

Cheers Crafty..any idea on costs if an electrician did it properly?

crafty1289 said:
It means a red switch with 'cooker' above it (with or without a socket) that they can connect to. Presumably, they wont chase out the wall or anything like that, for new cables, so you will have to do this.
Any reason to assume that he can't disconnect the existing cable from the existing cooker, and connect it to the new one?

Sponsored Links
That's what I was hoping was possible. Would this be something I could do myself or would it be best to get it done professionally?
Thanks
Andy

It ought to be DIY-able - it's only 3 screw terminals to deal with.

But I have no idea of your level of competency, and the fact that you're asking makes me wonder if you aren't 100% comfortable with doing this...

One thing that might be worth checking out is how much slack there is in the cable, and where the terminals are on the new one vs old - will the cable reach?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back