Bathroom circuit is tripping the fuse.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm living in the share accommodation where Upstairs bathroom is just right on top of downstairs bathroom which it was extended( not the original plan).

The upstairs bathroom used to leak to downstairs bathroom and causing some electrical faults when you switch on the downstairs bathroom light and extractor fan, sometimes was huge bang noise and burning smell and tripping the fuse at the CU.

landlord has been fixed the leakage upstairs bathroom ( hopefully, as I can't the see a patch of water on the downstairs bathroom ceiling) and electrician had been to install a new extractor fan because the old was blown out eventually.

But the problem re-emerging recently. Occasionally, when you switched the downstairs bathroom light on, sometimes it takes 5 minutes before bang noise, burning smell and tripping the fuse.

My questions:

1. I have noticed, when the fuse has tripped at the CU some of the sockets upstairs are off as well. This means, the downstairs bathroom circuit is connected to upstairs final ring. Is this complying with regs?
  2. There's something else might cause the electrical faults apart from leaking water?
  3. Does the bathroom circuit need special cables and joints to be water tight, in case of leakage or moisture?
  4. Does it some safe to use tapes in the bathroom?
I have already informed the landlord about the problem and he will come to fix it.

I think the electrician did this installation they are un qualified or incompetent.

The questions above are, for my safety and knowledge.

Sponsored Links
I suspect there may be damage to wiring or connections caused by the water that has not been repaired by the electrician.

The fault is most probably switching off both circuits as the rcd which feeds both circuits is tripping.

I suspect there may be damage to wiring or connections caused by the water that has not been repaired by the electrician.

The fault is most probably switching off both circuits as the rcd which feeds both circuits is tripping.
Thank you for your input.

But, Bathroom circuit to share rcd with another circuit. Does it comply with regs?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back