Bathroom Electrics Tripped

I havent done anything new since the bathroom was fitted. No alterations no pictures or anything.

I think I have so far eliminated the fan as the fault (disconnected). And I believe I have eliminated the mirror as the fault too (switched off)?

I guess that leaves the lighting, the RCD or something else???

I understand that there will be a logical reason to this problem - just got to find it :(

Sponsored Links
Ah, CPN. Probably faulty then.
I can't speak for their RCD FCUs, but I've had CPN RCDs in a couple of my CUs (cellar and garage) for 15-20 years, and they have both worked fine, and still test fine.

... so maybe one needs to keep "tar and brushes" in mind!

Kind Regards, John

I will get to the bottom this somehow (soon hopefully).

Thanks for the advice so far

I can't speak for their RCD FCUs, but I've had CPN RCDs in a couple of my CUs (cellar and garage) for 15-20 years, and they have both worked fine, and still test fine.

... so maybe one needs to keep "tar and brushes" in mind!

Kind Regards, John
Well, of course I only saw the installations with the faulty stuff in, but every single one of their products I had tested failed the tests.

Sponsored Links
Well, of course I only saw the installations with the faulty stuff in, but every single one of their products I had tested failed the tests.
I think I must be understanding. If you only saw "installations with faulty stuff in", and hence were only able to test products in such installations, if you are referring to "faulty CPN stuff" then it would surely be inevitable that it would all fail your tests?

... or are you perhaps saying that the "faulty stuff" in these installations was not CPN, but that you also tested CPN products which happened to also be present, and that these all failed your tests (as well as the other "faulty stuff")?

Kind Regards, John

Eh? I was called to several installations due to failed CPN stuff. In addition, a number of their products were tested by a reputable independent test house. Every one tested failed. A mainland European test house took some action against them for claiming an approval that did not exist for the product.

Eh? I was called to several installations due to failed CPN stuff.
Indeed, that's what I thought you meant but ...
In addition, a number of their products were tested by a reputable independent test house. Every one tested failed.
Ah, right - it is the "In addition" (which wasn't present in you previous post) that I had not fully understood.
A mainland European test house took some action against them for claiming an approval that did not exist for the product.
That's interesting, and illustrates the problem for consumers/customers. I don't think one could criticise people for believing that CPN-Cudis is a perfectly respectable and reputable UK company. They admit that their products (although designed in the UK) are "manufactured by their partner companies in China" - but that's true of many/most of the major UK brands. Is there any way in which the 'average UK customer' could be reasonably expected to have reason for having concerns about this particular company?

Kind Regards, John

Well, at the time, Mr Average could have noticed that the product listed on the 3rd-party certificate on the web site referred to a different product, and he might be suspicious about the similarity of their products and part numbers to those of a major manufacturer. However, I'm clutching at hairs there, if not actually splitting straws - most people have no way of knowing that these cheap Chinese knock-offs (not just CPN) are likely to be the right shape, and to appear to work. They cannot tell by looking whether the materials are correct, nor whether the devices will operate safely under stress.

.... However, I'm clutching at hairs there, if not actually splitting straws - most people have no way of knowing that these cheap Chinese knock-offs (not just CPN) are likely to be the right shape, and to appear to work. They cannot tell by looking whether the materials are correct, nor whether the devices will operate safely under stress.
Indeed - that's the problem, probably not only for 'Mr Average' but almost any prospective buyer. Only those who undertake, or commission, their own extensive testing will ever know.

I suppose that is probably going to remain the case unless/until we ever move from a situation of 'Declaration' to one of compulsory inspection and testing of all imported products (undertaken or, at least, commissioned, by 'relevant authorities').

Kind Regards, John

Yes, or unless/until buyers realise that we tend to get what we pay for, and that if something looks too cheap, it probably is.

Yes, or unless/until buyers realise that we tend to get what we pay for, and that if something looks too cheap, it probably is.
True, but the danger with that is that if the disreputable manufacturers/suppliers saw that happening in a big way, they might respond by simply hiking up their prices, thereby ripping of consumers even more, for the same sub-standard products.

There is also the problem, for consumers, that high price does not necessarily mean a materially 'better' or higher quality product. Sometimes one is really paying the extra for little more than 'a name' - one has only got to compare 'designer' and 'value' spectacle frames to see that at work!

Kind Regards, John

That's often the case with 'fashion' items. The marketing textbooks call it 'prestige pricing'.
Indeed, but I think the phenomenon exists in relation to a very wide range of products - when one pays a premium for 'a name', one quite often gets little more for that premium than 'the name'.

Kind Regards, John

CPN is notoriously bad, have encountered many faulty CPN products.

Wouldn't want an RCD in a loft, especially if condensation is prone to running into it.

Thought I would post an update out of courtesy. The electrician came while I was in work so I didn't get chance to speak to him. He fixed the lights and the extractor fan, but he said the mirror was to blame and was faulty!? I believe he has disconnected it, but I haven't been in the attic yet. He told my wife that it was something to do with the mirror that was the problem, but she couldn't recall exactly what he told her. I have tried contacting him on several occasions but he is completely ignoring me now. I am thinking that I probably need to check if the mirror is working or not - and check if he's correct.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back