Bathroom Fan + light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm having problems with condensation in my bathroom. I have a 12volt fan/light fitted in the shower cubicle. Is it possible to run a second identical 12volt fan/light from the existing wiring to a position above my sink where the condensation is becoming a problem?

Sponsored Links
Where do you want the new fan, in the external wall or via the ceiling, some flexi vent tube and exit in the soffet ?

Primary consideration is the access to connect on to existing wiring which if it's an open loft area above is reasonably straight forward.

You should consider the total sq footage of the room and match a fan to the area of air requiring change. Nearly all fans give a air circulation rate. Shower ones tend to be pretty weedy and will only clear a small amount of the damp air.

Does the existing fan work on over run or simple on / off with the lights ?

Hi Chri5,
The fan will be in the ceiling and vent through the soffit, the loft is open access at that point. The exisiting fan is on an overun timer as will the new one if thats possible.

I think you are right about the weedy shower fans but the bathroom (I use the word loosely just a shower and vanity unit :) ) is very small so I think a second fan would not look out of place over the sink and should clear the small amount of condensation I am getting. I hope!

Run a 1 x 1.0 mm 3 core cable + earth take the LNE and switch live feeeds from the existing unit and they will work in tandem.

Sponsored Links
Run a 1 x 1.0 mm 3 core cable + earth take the LNE and switch live feeeds from the existing unit and they will work in tandem.
Will they?

How did you determine that the two fans won't overload the transformer?

The fans have in built transformers and the wiring is on the in side, thus the cable is simply taking LNE + SL feeds.

I suspect you know that are are just being your normal condescending, irritating self.

Try being constructive, it takes no more energy.

Here I'll even guess your answer:-

Goldberg says
why should I
Your wrong
My middle name is "pedantic"

The fans have in built transformers and the wiring is on the in side, thus the cable is simply taking LNE + SL feeds.
A 12V fan unit with a transformer inside is called a 240V fan.

Either the OP described the fan wrongly, or you're completely wrong. I know which my money is on.

Zloty.
Disregarding the Electrical side of things for a moment, have you considered the air flow pattern. I think if you install another fan on extract then both fans will be "sucking "against each other in such a small room as the one you describe.

You can have the world's largest extractor fan, or two of them if you like, both thundering mightily, but they won't shift anything unless there's enough ventilation to allow air into the room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back