Bathroom isolator switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are there any cosmetically better looking isolator switches to be had for a bathroom fan?

The one outside of the bathroom is very white, big and ugly, and having just spent an age decorating and upgrading all the switched to nice brass ones, it sticks out like a sore thumb!

I know it is important, and so I don't want to get rid of it or re-wire it via the light switch... however something a bit more discreet or pleasing to the eye would be good..

Can I use a normal switch..?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
you can not use an ordainairy switch as it only isolates the live , a fan isolator switch isolates everything.

I just had a look at tlc for you and they all look thae same, except this one

failing that , there is nothing that says you cant paint / decorate the existing switch, so long as you do it carefully and it can still move

Thanks for the reply Breezer.

The ceiling switch would be an option (on the inside of the bathroom) as it would allow me to get rid of the switch on the wall outside of the bathroom. Trouble is there is already a cord for the shower and a cord for the light.... another one... and I would probably end up taking bell ringing lessons!

Am I correct in thinking the isolator switch is there simply to completely isolate the fan when it is being cleaned etc. ?

As I tend to turn the whole house electric off whenever I am changing wall sockets, or doing anything remotley electrical...and would certainly do so if I was in the bathroom cleaning the fan ... can I get away with a normal switch to simply turn the fan on and off? I am guessing I owuld also need to ensure there is a good earth if this option is possible?

Or is ti the case that the fan needs to be totally isolated when it is not being used in case of water splashing or condensation?

Many thanks

its to do with totaly isolating it so a normal switch is not allowed

Sponsored Links
You can get brass isolation switches, but they still have a fairly big plastic rocker.

You might see if you can find a mains rated 3-pole rotary switch, which you could mount on a brass blanking plate with a brass knob.....

Have you tried hiding the switch in a suitable cupboard?

Thanks for the help.

I think I am going to put a ceiling switch with cord, inside the bathroom....

Unfortunately there isn't a cupboard nearby..

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back