bathroom light and pull cord

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have just replaced my bathroom light and pull cord. there is 1.0mm live natural and an uninsulated earth cable to pull cord that goes to the light the main feed goes to the light when connected the light comes on when i pull the cord the fuse blows. I know there is going to be something simple and yes i made a diagram but it is a different light the one that was up was a 2D type energy saving fluorescent kind the new one is just an edison screw any advice thanx.

Sponsored Links
you either made the diagram wrong or didn't follow it :cry:

you have put the switch ACROSS the live and neutral

have a look in the "sticky" for refence section to see how it should be done.

you want the first drawing, look carefully at wher the switch goes :)

thanx beezer. MM ok well i have red and black from pull cord which goes to hole in ceiling then i have another cable which is red n black with un sheilded earth . So through hole in ceiling i have 2 red (1 which is live) 2 black and the earths . the red in the pull cord is in com the black is in l1 i think the problem im having is i have a round light fitting which has an edison screw bulb which has 2 connections i presume not pole sensetive and a screw for the earth so i dont know how to connect the live cables to the switch and then to light thanx

If you have two cables at the light position, the two reds go together (live feed in + live feed to switch), the black return from switch is marked with red tape or sleeving at both ends, and connects to the CENTRE PIN OF ES LAMPHOLDER. The black (neutral) connects to the OUTER PIN OF THE ES LAMPHOLDER. Earth continuity must be ensured, and connected to the light fitting, as must a bonding conductor which you link to other extraneous conductive parts (pipes, metal baths etcetera) and other earth wires of circuits supplied in the bathroom (imm htr, shower, shaver socket, fan, heater, towel rail etc...)

Sponsored Links
thank you for that i was in a rush trying to get it done before it was dark and i forgot i had extended 1 cable but not the other mmm well just goes to show standing back and looking at the problem helps thanx again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back