Bathroom light pull

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have bought a chrome effect light pull socket and cord but when taking the old socket down notice there is no earth wire, just the live and neutral. I'm sure there should be an earth to connect especially if there is a metal switch to be connected! I think I need to get an electrician in to look at this but wanted to know if this is a common problem, it seems that a number of light pull switches only have the two wires but the fact that the switch I have bought is chrome means I don't want to risk anything!

Any advice/feedback?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It used to be relatively common for a lighting circuit to be installed without an earth, it means you should not connect any accessory which requires an earth. The wires in a switch are usually not live and neutral, but live and switch live.

Thanks, they may well be live and switch live actually.

So, do you think it would be ok to fit the new switch using the live and switch live without earth?

The issue here is whether the switch is class 1 or 2. (I or II)

If it is class 1 then it MUST have an earth because under a fault condition you could electrocute yourself.

If it is class 2 then it requires NO earth.

Usually if it is metal then it will be class 1 but not always. Check with the manufacturer.

The literature supplied with the switch may tell you. I used to carry out PAT testing and the rule was if it didn't say then treat it like a class 1 piece of equipment. If it has a symbol like a box inside a box then it is class 2.

See here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appliance_classes.

Having said all this we didn't PAT test switches so maybe they are not 'classed' as anything!

I suspect you need an earth.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Quick check.....

Look at the switch and instructions: does the switch have an earth terminal connected to the metal cover?

Do the instructions say the metal parts must be earthed?

It always pays to READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back