bathroom pull cord switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
new menber hello all, bathroom light running from loft switch 3 core and earth. Then i am running seperate cable back to pull to pull cord ligths up
but when i go to pull cord off it trips the fuse

Puzzled any help appreciated.

sorry guys got that all wrong its 2c+e electrician rewired about 5yrs ago i am now just changing the fixtures, but i am sure when i took the light off the live cables where taped and the neutrals connected to the other 2 and earthed :!:

Sponsored Links
I think you have seriously messed up. You cant run a light off that 3C+E unless you know which is permenant live, if there is one - it may just be a 2-way switch cable.

I reckon when the light is on, that switch is OFF, then when you go to click it "off", you're closing the switch (turning it ON) between LIVE and NEUTRAL, so the fuse blows. You've wired it all seriously wrong, i suggest you get an electrician to take a look, or see the pictures in "for reference" if they are still there.

sorry didn't quite understand that.
3 core and e? why is it a two way switching setup? in a bathroom?
how does the cord light up?
Which loft switch have you connected to?
You ought thank whichever is your god for fuses GET SOMEONE IN!!!
This is all notifiable btw

sorry but its 2c+E and it was a qualified electrician who rewired 5yrs ago my fault for not metioning i am just repalcing a old fixture.

PS i am sure when i took off the light fixture the live cables were taped
and the neutrals connected and earth

Sponsored Links
so you had 2 blacks connected to the light? this is normal - wire it like that again. It worked, didn't it? So why change it? And use a bit of terminal block, not tape. The way you have wired it is the no. 1 mistake by DIYers, connecting the switch between L and N. Re-wire it how you described it was before - this does work.

And dont edit replied to posts - i look stupid with my first response now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back