Bathroom timer extractor manual control switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya am I correct in thinking to have manual control over a bathroom timer extractor (e.g if I want to turn it on without the light on or turn it off with the light on) then the routine is;

.3 core and earth from ceiling rose to 3 pole isolater outside bathroom
.3 core and earth from 3 pole isolater to timer fan BUT with a standard ceiling pull switch in bathroom between permenant live from 3p isolater and permenant live fan inlet

Logically this seems to be the way to have manual control over the timer fan (I like to be in control:cool: )Is there something I'm missing here?

Any help greatly appreciated I've searched the forums extensively but have found no simple answer to this thanx[/u][/list]

Sponsored Links
.3 core and earth from 3 pole isolater to timer fan BUT with a standard ceiling pull switch in bathroom between permenant live from 3p isolater and permenant live fan inlet
You haven't revealed your plan for the switched live.

Logically this seems to be the way to have manual control over the timer fan (I like to be in control:cool: )Is there something I'm missing here?
I can't yet see how you'll be allowing the fan to run when the light comes on.

Thanx very much for the reply Mr Softus the plan for the switched live is to have it from lightswitch switched live to the fan switched live inlet via the 3p isolator (I assume that is the normal routine?). If the switch on the pull switch I want to control the fan (simply a switched break in the permenant live wire) is switched on then the fan should run as normal when the light is switched on shouldn't it? Because then that's just like a normal situation isn't it? The only thing is I can choose to turn it off for say if I just go into the bathroom at night just to wash my hands then I don't need the fan to run for 15 minutes what a waste of precious energy huh? What would Al Gore and that Bob Geldof bloke think? :rolleyes:

I think you're overcomplicating things.

If you want the fan to run when you're in the room, then turn on the TP isolator switch outside the bathroom.

If you don't want the fan to run when you're in the room, then turn off the TP isolator switch outside the bathroom.

I really don't see the need for three switches when there are only two scenarios.

If you want the fan to run, but not stay on as long, then adjust it down to the time period that you like.

Sponsored Links
Hiya Softus well for the tiny 1 minute effort of putting in a ceiling switch in the permenant live wire I can have nice easy control from inside the bathroom over the fan plus other people (mostly family members) would not know about turning off the isolation switch (probably wouldn't even see it) whereas I could even label the 2 switches inside the bathroom and even an american president could work out that in a room with a fan and light and 2 pull switches what the non light switch is for (well actually maybe not :LOL: ) It seems pretty simple to me but I like to consult knowledgable experienced people before undertaking anything like this

You have a 3 pole switch to isolate the fan for maintenance etc. If you put a single pole pull-cord in line, then it will not completely isolate your fan, with the potential of a dangerous situation when someone pulls the cord to turn off the fan and then touches the live terminal. NOT recommended in a bathroom!

No Mr Spike first comes the 3p iso then the inline pullswitch so it can still be isolated which I know is vital but there's a further safe isolation point so the permenant live can be cut off to stop overrun (waste of electric) if and only if desired in a nice convenient location inside the bathroom then the 3p iso can be only used for it's intended purpose that is maintenance etc I'm sure as energy prices rise more and more people will want to do this it should be standard policy in bathrooms with windows I think

Hiya Softus well for the tiny 1 minute effort of putting in a ceiling switch in the permenant live wire I can have nice easy control from inside the bathroom over the fan
If you can install and test a switch in just one minute then you should be putting your super powers to better use.

It seems pretty simple to me but I like to consult knowledgable experienced people before undertaking anything like this
I don't know why you bothered.

If you don't like like it then it will take only one minute to remove it.

Actually, Danny Boi has the right answer - a 3pole pull cord. Going back to your idea though, you implied that most people don't know what the 3 pole switch outside the door actually does, hence my argument for NOT fitting a further single pole switch inside.

Thank you very much Mr Spike the only thing was I already have 3p isolators and pull switches and they're more widely available anyway so I thought my idea would be nice simple quick thing but maybe I was wrong :(

Thank you very much Mr Spike the only thing was I already have 3p isolators and pull switches and they're more widely available anyway so I thought my idea would be nice simple quick thing but maybe I was wrong :(

For the sake of a few extra pounds and a trip to the wholesalers, it means the job can be done correctly and safely.

Point taken dannyboi but please explain why it's not safe because the permenant live and the switched live both first go to the 3p iso as normal then the permenant live is connected to a pull switch just like a permenant live is connected to a standard light switch so I don't see how it's any more unsafe infact having a quick switch in the bathroom to turn off the permenant live to the fan in addition to an iso outside is even safer in my view you could be getting electrocuted by the fan in your right arm and turn off the permenant live with your left (just joking don't explain how that's wrong) I'm really surprised noone has done this I thought everyone would just say yeah I done that not a problem

Well, you can do what you like. If you're hell bent on fitting this extra switch then go ahead. It will work. It's just not the best way to do it. And not the safest, as we have explained. It may seem trivial to you, but you asked for advice and you got it. I would not fit a fan like this as a job for someone else, or for in my own house. And certainly not in a house which is being sold on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back