Bathroom timer extractor manual control switch

Thanks Mr Spike but can you give a quick explanation of how it's not safe nobody has explained how it's not safe if you could explain that then I can cancel thanks

Sponsored Links
You have a 3 pole switch to isolate the fan for maintenance etc. If you put a single pole pull-cord in line, then it will not completely isolate your fan, with the potential of a dangerous situation when someone pulls the cord to turn off the fan and then touches the live terminal. NOT recommended in a bathroom!

Sponsored Links
Okay thanks Sparky but you still haven't provided an explanation of how it's not safe because the isolation switch comes first then the switch hence if the isolation switch is off there is NO electricity to even the switch let alone the fan

Okay thanks Sparky but you still haven't provided an explanation of how it's not safe
You're not looking for an explanation, you just want someone to tell you that it's a brilliant idea and to go ahead with it.

Well it isn't, so they won't. However, please note:

Well, you can do what you like. If you're hell bent on fitting this extra switch then go ahead. It will work. It's just not the best way to do it. And not the safest, as we have explained.

...the isolation switch comes first then the switch hence if the isolation switch is off there is NO electricity to even the switch let alone the fan
To make the installation safe, your new switch should be clearly labeled to indicate that it isn't an isolator.

To make the installation safest, you shouldn't have any unnecessary switches at all, and this is an unnecessary switch.

Oh I take your point about someone mistaking the switch for an isolator that's a valid point but hopefully I don't think anyone would try to do anything with the fan without checking for a 3p isolator by the bathroom door (which would be labelled) they could clearly see that turning the light on activates the fan even with fan switch off therefore there must be live to it I think electricians think people are very dumb have a little more trust in people I say, thanks for elaborating on your safety point very kind

Oh I take your point about someone mistaking the switch for an isolator that's a valid point
Yes. It is.

...but hopefully...
Any statement that follows those words has no value whatsoever.

I think electricians think people are very dumb have a little more trust in people I say
You're entitled to think that, and you're also entitled to be utterly wrong.

I think you have no understanding of the concept of duty of care. People who charge for their services are required, in law, to use a degree of skill that reflects their training, expertise and professional status.

You, on the other hand, can convince yourself that it's best to trust to luck. That's your prerogative, but you have absolutely no right to post on this forum in such a way as to implies that the advice being given is (a) unclear, and (b) over-cautious, so one more word in that direction and you'll gain a new understanding of what it is to be rude.

Well the fact that you are willing to be rude to a large degree shows that your argument is too weak to argue logically which is all I have asked for from what you say people wouldn't change a lightbulb that had 2 separate switches to it. It's nothing to do with luck there's an element of risk to everything it is a human's job to strike a balance your implication that what I'm proposing is reckless or relying on luck is offensive you can be rude if you want I've heard it all before anyway but all it would do is show the weakness of your argument thanks for your help :D

Well the fact that you are willing to be rude to a large degree shows that your argument is too weak to argue logically
It's too late for that kind of nonsense - you already accept my point in your previous post.

from what you say people wouldn't change a lightbulb that had 2 separate switches to it.
Balderdash.

It's nothing to do with luck there's an element of risk to everything it is a human's job to strike a balance
And it's an electrician's job to mitigate all foreseeable risks.

your implication that what I'm proposing is reckless or relying on luck is offensive
You were the one who used the word hopefully. In this context it's clear that you're prepared to trust to luck, or hope, or whatever weak-willed namby-pamby excuse for a poor installation you want to use.

It doesn't make any difference to anything. You're going to install the switch anyway, but you can't do it without knowing that it's against the advice of everyone who's advised on this topic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back