Bathroom wall light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My en suite had a pull cord, ceiling light and a wall light that seemed from the 70's even though the house was only built 16 years ago sadly the wall light didn't work.. didn't have a pull string on it so thought it must run off the pull cord in the ceiling... on closer inspection the cord from the light was just snapped off..

So here is my problem the wife has brought a wall light from ikea that has no on/off switch so when connected the light just stays on.

Solutions please can it be added to the existing ceiling pull cord or could I add a ir sensor?

Attachments

• IMG_3333.JPG
    IMG_3333.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_3331.JPG
    IMG_3331.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_3334.JPG
    IMG_3334.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_3336.JPG
    IMG_3336.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 171
Sponsored Links
I suspect a PIR for it will cost more than the light itself, can you perhaps incorporate a mini pull cord into the light somehow? Is that choc block lighting or part of a ring - it's hard to tell?

Hi

I don't know where the wires go to this it is part of the upstairs lighting as it turns off with the rest of the light upstairs at the fuse box, the pull cord controls only the ceiling light not the wall one.
The choc block was on the existing light I have just removed it so I can isolate the wires in it see pic of old light

I was thinking of adding a pull cord to the shelf above the light see picture? With some type of duct to the wall

My last pic sorry it might not make sense but I'll try explain
Can I wire it like that? The isolation tape being the pull cord attached to the shelf and then the 2 wires going to the choc block?

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_3337.JPG
    IMG_3337.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_3339.JPG
    IMG_3339.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_3338.JPG
    IMG_3338.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_3340.JPG
    IMG_3340.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 171
If you can get into the loft, the easiest option is to leave the connector block as wired and run a new cable 1.00m T+E from the centre light to the wall light position.You could use the existing cable to "draw" the new one up into the loft, and put the existing wiring into a join box and leave it in the loft as this is the feed cable and must remain connected.

DS

Sponsored Links
If you can get into the loft, the easiest option is to leave the connector block as wired and run a new cable 1.00m T+E from the centre light to the wall light position.You could use the existing cable to "draw" the new one up into the loft, and put the existing wiring into a join box and leave it in the loft as this is the feed cable and must remain connected.

DS

I have thought about this and spoke to the wife about it...

She said she would prefer the light to be able to come on without the main light coming on....something to do with makeup....! Crazy I know but what the wife wants the wife get lol

Would the idea of a mini pull cord on the shelf not work?

Ah, sorry i thought you wanted to switch it with the centre light!
You're local pull cord sound like the only solution.

Regards,

DS

Right I've been having a good old think and see picture

If I could use that pull switch from old light I could mod a pull cord into the light itself. But I'm unsure where to wire it within the light?

Would you wire it after the transformer see second picture?

Fitting the pull cord part seems easy and I have enough space for it to operate?

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_3341.JPG
    IMG_3341.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_3342.JPG
    IMG_3342.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 168
There is no transformer. It clearly says "power supply " on it and that is what it is.

And, no you don't wire the switch after the power supply as that would leave the power supply permanently live. The switch has to go before the power supply.

If you can access the loft space then (safely) cut the power to the old light and insert a pull cord there, through the ceiling. So it should be on or off independently from the main light.

Adding a pull cord to a fitting that doesn't have space for one is fraught with issues. Far easier to buy a switchable fitting.

There may be remote operated alternatives that would involve cutting the loft power but using a remote control handset (which will disappear)

Those cables are more than 16 years old! As above, modifying any electrical equipment is never a good idea.

OK. Thy shall by done ……. Buy a mini pull cord from and 1gang architrave blank plate and box (all from TLC electrical).
That least that will be flush with the wall,and not too big. More importantly, you haven't altered the fitting.

Regards,

DS

Last edited:
Right

I have been into the loft and running another ceiling pull cord seems extremely easy to do plenty of access down the wall so I plan to do that.

What size wire do I need and does it need earth as the light fixing don't have a earth fitting? and a 1 gang pull cord?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back