Bathroom zones, does the toilet count?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In a big bathroom, can I place laundry equipment next to the toilet? It would be outside zone 2 in relation to the bath and shower. All the zone explanations talk about showers and baths as being in the centre if the zones, are toilets (and washbasins) also centres?

Sponsored Links
A room containing a bath or shower is a special location in the context of your question.

A toilet/wash basin not included though common sense must prevail.

What size is your bathroom?

I would place the laundry equipment on a fused spur (no socket)
Any socket must be at least 3 meters from the edge of the bath or shower. So you need a big bathroom! The socket circuit must be RCD protected.

Sponsored Links
In a big bathroom, can I place laundry equipment next to the toilet? It would be outside zone 2 in relation to the bath and shower. All the zone explanations talk about showers and baths as being in the centre if the zones, are toilets (and washbasins) also centres?
Washing machines and tumble dryers may be installed in a bathroom provided they are
installed outside the zones
supplied from a switched fused flex outlet (sockets are only allowed 3m from zone 1) installed outside the zones,
protected by a 30mA RCD,
permitted for installation by the manufacturers - that is the hard one :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back