Bathroom zones, does the toilet count?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In a big bathroom, can I place laundry equipment next to the toilet? It would be outside zone 2 in relation to the bath and shower. All the zone explanations talk about showers and baths as being in the centre if the zones, are toilets (and washbasins) also centres?

Sponsored Links
Oh crap. So I am simply not allowed to put the washing machine next to the loo?

quote: yes anything containing water that can be touched is zoned.

What? No washing machines or dishwashers in kitchens anymore?
Or fridges even! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
yes anything containing water that can be touched is zoned.

A room containing a bath or shower is a special location in the context of your question.

A toilet/wash basin not included though common sense must prevail.

What size is your bathroom?

I would place the laundry equipment on a fused spur (no socket)
Any socket must be at least 3 meters from the edge of the bath or shower. So you need a big bathroom! The socket circuit must be RCD protected.

A toilet/wash basin not included though common sense must prevail.

What size is your bathroom?

I would place the laundry equipment on a fused spur (no socket)
Any socket must be at least 3 meters from the edge of the bath or shower. So you need a big bathroom! The socket circuit must be RCD protected.

Better. Are you sure, though, the previous poster was quite definite?

I don quite have 3m (2.8) but don't need a socket, was planning fixed wiring through an rcd protected spur.

Better. Are you sure, though, the previous poster was quite definite?

The 17th edition of the wiring regulations is sure.

I don quite have 3m (2.8) but don't need a socket, was planning fixed wiring through an rcd protected spur.

Fixed wiring is fine. But have it done by a professional registered electrician.
This is not a DIY job. It needs to be designed/tested properly

Zones in bathrooms are defined as distances from a bath or shower only.
Basins, toilets and other items do not have zones.

Washing machines and other appliances can be installed in bathrooms, provided that they are suitable for such a location (manufacturers may provide this information - or not).

If connected via a socket, the socket must be at least 3m from the edge of the bath or shower.
Alternatively an FCU or outlet plate can be used, which is the most common option, as most bathrooms are not large enough to permit any socket outlets.

do you often get nekid and soaking wet whilst having your feet or other body parts in contact with the water in the toilet bowl?
He can't afford a bidet so he washes his danglies in the bog.

Err-- Bidets don't count either even though they have a sprayer.

yes anything containing water that can be touched is zoned.
Do I have to move the socket next to my kettle or can I just get a longer lead?

The socket needs to be a minimum of 3m in a horizontal direction to that of the outer edge the of the kettle. Anyone using the kettle needs to be protected to a minimum of IPX4. A rubber diving suit is accepted as meeting minimum standards :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back