Baxi Solo2 boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help !! Is it worth fixing up a 20 year old Baxi? Or should I get a new boiler? My boiler stopped working, I`ve made decision to change a fan to save money and because it`s been playing up for a while. And boiler is still not working, there is strange noise coming from PC board. Shall I buy a new PC board and risk that there is something else wrong or shall I buy a new boiler?

Sponsored Links
are you sure its twenty years old?

Am sure that the baxi solo2 could not be that old, oh well

I would fix it up as even with the new fan and pcb its still a darn site cheaper than a new one.

They are a very reliable piece of kit if you give em loads of tlc

a buzzing noise on the Solo 2 pcb is indicative of a capacitor going down

if you've replaced the fan, then £45 invested in a pcb is not so much of an outlayto get it working

got one going free if you want it.

Free wife an all (youll forget all about boiler trouble once CMMK2 is installed in your property)

Fun aside (but seriously the wife is free), why did you change the fan?

DONT change a boiler that is at it oldest 8 years.

Replace PCB, and keep you, the wife and the kids all nice and warm.

Easy change (not like wifes)

David

Sponsored Links
I beg to differ Gaz

it must be at least ten years, three months, four days, 7 hours, 14 mintues and 53 secs old

because blah blah blah

Sorry just wanted to see what it must be like to be agile or softus for a bit ;)

I have no idea how old but knew it werent twenty

I am not sure if it`s twenty years old, how can I check it?
If I get the pc board changed, is there anything else that could go wrong?
I don`t think that they cost £45, I`ve checked it on-line and the price was £102, so it will probably be more in a shop.

Soggy_weetabix...I do not really need a wife but I need a new husband...no no new husband...new man is enough ( without a wife preferably) :LOL: I am a woman ;)

adriana said:
If I get the pc board changed, is there anything else that could go wrong?
I don`t think that they cost £45, I`ve checked it on-line and the price was £102, so it will probably be more in a shop.
quote]
There's always something else that can go wrong
... and you haven't looked hard enough

£45 notes!

Thats a reconditioned price price for a pcb

David

"And..." no CORGI registered person should be fitting a reconditioned part!!!

Raden on the other hand is not CORGI registered so he fits what he likes!

Tony

Lots of CORGI fitters do, what's wrong with them ?

CORGI are only bowing to pressure from the manufacturers

... and I am not a fitter, I do not fit parts into gas appliances

Why did you change the fan, was it turning on and off and still doing the same now? Is it a clicking noise coming from the pcb, if so could be a dry joint on PCB. After you have changed the PCB only the gas valve and a couple of sensors left to change, hopefully not worth changing the boiler yet, and I think they must be one of the easiest boilers to service and maintain. :eek:

If there's a clicking noise coming from the pcb, it's not from a cracked (nothing to do with dry joints) joint, it's the circuitry controlling the relay which controls the fan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back